Support thread for those of us with partners/spouses with ASC-all welcome

Hello. I've been chatting to some ladies on here who are struggling in their relationships with partners who have Aspergers or high function Autism and I've noticed there seems to be a need for support. I am in the same situation and my partner and I have a little boy aged 5, who is also on the spectrum. Life has been very tough for a few years, but my partner and I have just started counselling.

I am hoping some others will hop on board so we can all share info and experience and support each other.

I haven't intended it to be exclusively for ladies by the way.

Love Rosemary xx

Parents
  • Hi again Rosemary,

Yeah thats a shocker, "leaving him alone to do his own thing" is the support he wants?!  No wonder he might do the same to you, in his mind that is what is needed during a stressful event Surprised Still i guess it will help understanding how he feels.  As you said previously why could he not tell you all this before, why did it take a stranger?  Still i guess that is what counsilling is all about having that mediator for things he felt he could not discuss.  I guess it all stems back to the difficulties some Aspies have with Epathy, Theory of mind, and not being able to read ours!!  I know if i am in a bad mood my husband can be the last person to pick up on it!!  I had quite a few years of Breastfeeding my son and was up Four five times a night, my husband decided he should sleep in another room during those years as my getting up to our son was stopping him sleeping!!  Not matter how much i told him how physically exhausted i was, we were running a bed and breakfast at the time.  It was all and still so often is all me, me, me not thinking, or now we know possibly not able ( wired) to think of others feelings.

When is your next session? 

Puffin x

• Hi again Rosemary,

Yeah thats a shocker, "leaving him alone to do his own thing" is the support he wants?!  No wonder he might do the same to you, in his mind that is what is needed during a stressful event Surprised Still i guess it will help understanding how he feels.  As you said previously why could he not tell you all this before, why did it take a stranger?  Still i guess that is what counsilling is all about having that mediator for things he felt he could not discuss.  I guess it all stems back to the difficulties some Aspies have with Epathy, Theory of mind, and not being able to read ours!!  I know if i am in a bad mood my husband can be the last person to pick up on it!!  I had quite a few years of Breastfeeding my son and was up Four five times a night, my husband decided he should sleep in another room during those years as my getting up to our son was stopping him sleeping!!  Not matter how much i told him how physically exhausted i was, we were running a bed and breakfast at the time.  It was all and still so often is all me, me, me not thinking, or now we know possibly not able ( wired) to think of others feelings.

When is your next session? 

Puffin x

Children
No Data