Hello (I'm a mum and wanting to find support)

Hello Wave

I have joined this forum as a way to meet other parents of children with ASD, anxiety and ALN/SEN and as a way to help feel less alone in helping my son navigate a world that he finds so challenging.

My son is 13 and I am finding that as he gets older the 'differences' between him and his peers are more marked and he's becoming more isolated (basically in his room all the time gaming, refusing to see if speak to anyone). I suppose I am looking for somewhere safe to turn when things becoming overwhelming, mostly the nights awake worrying, the constant ball of anxiety in my stomach etc. Anybody else feel this way?!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

R. 

Parents
  • Hi Relaxed

I've only joined today for the same reasons really. My son's 7 and recently diagnosed and I have no clue what I'm doing. 

I worry daily how he'll cope as he gets older. 

I have no friends or relatives to talk to freely because through no fault of there own they have no idea what it's like and often comment that "he'll be fine" etc. 

I feel like all my time is taken with my son and I'm neglecting my 8 year old daughter and husband. 

This is harder than I ever expected it to be. 

• Hi Relaxed

I've only joined today for the same reasons really. My son's 7 and recently diagnosed and I have no clue what I'm doing. 

I worry daily how he'll cope as he gets older. 

I have no friends or relatives to talk to freely because through no fault of there own they have no idea what it's like and often comment that "he'll be fine" etc. 

I feel like all my time is taken with my son and I'm neglecting my 8 year old daughter and husband. 

This is harder than I ever expected it to be. 

Children
  • If you.want some advice please message be. I am retired Child Psychotherapist and Autism was my speciality. Now I do volunteer work for an NGO

• Hi Mommy B

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have a great husband family who are supportive but they don't seem to worry as I do and all decisions, getting him support etc is down to me. It's a lot of pressure and can be lonely. Add to that my friends having children who are excelling and it's hard to see how my son struggles with what we would think of as 'basic' things.

Sending lots of support and solidarity. Thank you for replying Slight smile