Coping with my daily low mood

Hello I am a 58 year old man who was diagnosed with having autism Aspergers 3 years ago.All my life I felt something was wrong with me and as a young boy this was put down to being very quiet and shy.However as the years passed by my mood level changed and as  an adult I find it very hard to be in a happy place which has brought extreme pressure on my wife and I throughout our marriage.I tend to be short tempered and very judgemental without often knowing the facts in any situation.
I have attended therapy sessions with other like minded autistic adults and because of this I know I’m not alone in the way I behave around others but it doesn’t excuse my behaviour.Even taking anti depressants daily do little to help how I feel and act,I just felt that maybe sharing my thoughts with others in a similar situation may help me in some way.

Parents
  • here are some simple thing you can do each day to change your mood

1. in the morning deliberately smile even if u dont want to ----- force it for a minute this fools your body into releasing the right hormones

2. say this mantra everyday " I am coping with everything fine "    ----- again a proven mood changer

3. do a 30 minute walk or cycle everyday. I sometimes walk my neigbours dog.   ----------  this helps  change ur mood some doctors prescribe it

4. get a Labrador / golden retriever dog ------- these have taken veterans out of depression  ....... but dogs are a big commitment so be careful with this one.    

5. stop drinking alcohol completely its a depressive chemical.

i used meditation so stop my depression and anxiety, for me it worked  i still do it with the walking smiling and mantras

• I'm totally with you on alcohol. It's horrid stuff!

• it can help with anxiety though.

Reply Children