Hi - Any advice welcome!

Hi,

I have 2 little girls, 5 and 2. I noticed that my eldest wasn’t reaching the ‘typical’ milestones like other children. I was told not to be worried, “all children develop differently”. One of the red flags was that her speech was very limited, she also didn’t play with children at playgroup, we had to endure the same 15minute clip of Disney castle openings on YouTube over and over again and she could not follow simple instructions. She only started using sentences last year during the first UK lockdown (aged 3) as she had no other way to communicate. 

We went to Speech and Language and she was referred in Dec 19. However, that appointment was delayed and we finally got seen June this year! She’s been observed 4 times already, and even though she has just turned 5 she is showing clear signs of Autism and ADHD, won’t get the proper assessment until she’s 6.

My little girl is constantly asking “what’s that noise?” She’ll ask over and over, majority of the times it’s a plane flying over. Our therapist explained that she ‘sees through her eyes’, and basically if she can’t see it, it doesn’t exist. 

I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to parent a young child with these 2 diagnosis? She’ll also be starting primary school in August, she does not handle change well at all. Has anyone got advice on how to prepare for school etc?

Thanks Blush

Parents
  • I would say, at a gues she has very sensitive hearing. Have you tried headphones/eardefenders to block more sound out. I use a range of eardefenders all the time. One pair has a radio inside to play me music or white noise. They help me focus / not get distracted ( ADHD )  

• Hi,

I’ve bought her headphones for her tablet more for our sakes after hearing the same background noise time and time again. She does ask me to turn the radio down in the car this is just recent. 

I’ve never even given it a thought to her having sensitive hearing. She’s just seemed curious when she hears a sound. Never thought it could be affecting her. 

Now that I’ve thought about it more, everytime we went to a birthday party and they all started singing happy birthday she would scream and cry and tell people to stop singing. Even at her own party she cried. 

Thanks for the advice!

• no problem glad to be help Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data