28 year old - newly diagnosed autism and ADHD - help please

Hi. I am newly diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD, had my assessment of Tuesday just gone, and the consultant closed his book and gave me his diagnosis. At first I was shocked and I was upset and cried. But since then, I am struggling to come to terms with this, and feel like I’m a fraud / over-exaggerated or faked my way through the assessment. I’ve always been alone, had limited friends and struggled socially particularly with relationships. I told one of my friends who said it makes sense, but my family ask if the doctor is wrong, and how they didn’t notice. I keep going through my head of all the questions, replaying the answers and questions, and how I acted in the assessment and feel like a fraud. Any help would be good as I’m struggling a bit with this. Don’t know if anyone can help. New to the community and this group thing.

thanks gareth

Parents
  • Autism and ADHD tends to run in families, maybe they made those comments because they’re also undiagnosed and didn’t see your behaviour as unusual? Do you have an Instagram account? There are a lot of neurodivergant accounts on there that I find myself identifying with, I have a whole phone album of meme screenshots, mostly autistic ones but also quite a few ADHD. Did the consultant not offer any follow up support? Although I think that may be a bit of a postcode lottery for adults unfortunately 

• Thank you GuybrushThreepwood. That really helps x

Reply Children
No Data