Brief Introduction

Hi, my name is Roger and I'm not sure if this will work but let's give it a try. I'll keep it brief as I'm very tired and it's late at night. I'm 27 year old male who has Asperger's syndrome, anxiety, panic attacks and other things that are wrong with me in mental and physical way. I work as a cleaner for famous supermarket chain and love to collect CD'S. I usually keep myself to myself which is the reason why I don't have friends (Although got a quite a few pals) and I'm single. Never been married and got no kids. Replay to this post or message me please to learn more about me. 

Parents
  • Hi Roger

I'm a mid 50s aspie - retired nerd.    I'm into music and hi-fi - got thousands of CDs - what music do you like?

• Nice to meet you, plastic. I'm only young but I been collecting CD's since Xmas 2010 when my parents friend gave me Cypress Hill fourth album. I use to be into a rap a lot in my younger days but nowadays I'm into EDM (Electronic Dance Music) but I also like Pop music and Rock which is something I was bought upon on. I am real nerd when it comes to music and the stats about them. I been following the charts religiously since 2009. I do like other stuff too like movies (Horrors and Comedies mainly) and like watching football tournaments.

• I'm an EDM fan - had my own studio up until recently.   I'm old enough to have been part of the old 1992 classic sampler-based dance scene.    I got into the electronic music back in the late 70s - I just loved the sounds that synths made.       I liked the empty, clean sounds from John Foxx, BEF and New Music

I bought my first CD player back in 1985 - they gave me Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' CD for free.   The start of my collection.  Smiley

• I'm an EDM fan - had my own studio up until recently.   I'm old enough to have been part of the old 1992 classic sampler-based dance scene.    I got into the electronic music back in the late 70s - I just loved the sounds that synths made.       I liked the empty, clean sounds from John Foxx, BEF and New Music

I bought my first CD player back in 1985 - they gave me Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' CD for free.   The start of my collection.  Smiley

Children
  • I gave up tape because of the technology - the actual tape gradually loses the data - the little magnetic dipoles that make up the surface are in such close formation that they affect each other over time - high frequencies fade over time - and the actual tape is choosy about its storage.

The other problem is the player - without regular use, the pinch roller will be deformed causing odd playback wowing and all the internal belts age and break so the system will eat your tapes.   

All these problems get worse with longer tapes like C120.

All too much hassle.

• True, I remember the days of when CD was mainstream. My dad's record player broke down in 2001 when CD was hot and vinyl wasn't and it took him ages to get a new one. My tape recorder broke down so I couldn't be bothered with tapes but I never chucked them (I got a new one that can play tapes) but the thing is with me the sound quality goes weak if you don't listen to it like every few years and they like to get stuck inside a player (How many times I had to rescue a tape from being eaten alive by my first tape recorders)

• Yeah - if it was designed for vinyl, it's best heard on vinyl.   We've got thousands of albums and singles too - my record collecting began in 1978 - some absolutely magic tracks from back then - the start of Electro!

When CDs became mainstream, you could pick up vinyl for nothing.

I abandoned tape years ago - too rubbish to bother with.

• Exactly, I just prefer physical formats than anything else cause it's an item specifically produced to hold that album/ single/ EP etc and nothing else. When you listen to music on your phone you can do other things on it too like browse internet, take photos, call and text someone etc. Very similar on your PC, tablet and so on. My dad has been collecting vinyls since 1986 and lately he's been selling and trading some but still has a large collection of his own (Jazz and Heavy Metal sells really well) and that's where I got the bug to collect music on physical formats. I use to have a vinyl collection of my own (About 50 titles till 2012) and up to 2016 I use to update often my audio tapes collections so CD's is not the only format I have respect and admiration for but I like it the most.

• Yeah - practically worthless now - but streaming is usually very low quality and can be cut off or monetised at any time.       If I have the original, I've always got that data.   And CDs are on ebay for a pound with free postage.

It's always been the same with record companies - most cash for least effort - let all the small labels take the initial risks.

• I know CD's have really gone down on price recently because nearly everyone streams or downloads stuff. I don't stream except doing views on YouTube and I haven't downloaded any music in years. Late 80's were wicked period for 80's, I like watching TOTP from that period when they were on BBC 4 cause I met so many good songs that I wouldn't have met otherwise. Same story came with Hip Hop and then Rap, started off underground, got noticed and secured a large fan base and then the man in suits saw it as profit and started using it as a cash cow.

• The dance music really took off about 1988-ish-  lots of classics from back then.    I think it peaked around 1992 and then it became a cash-cow for the record companies and the quality went right down.

I've actually been collecting the 'good' versions of CD-versions of classic vinyl - before they got 'remastered' to death.

When I started buying CDs, they were only sold in hi-fi shops because they were so much more expensive than records.

• What?! that's so awesome, man I wish I was alive back then to attend the old school raves. My parents friend who gave me my first CD told me about raves in Poland during early 90's and how mad they were. I always liked EDM but only started listening to it massively about 7 - 8 years ago then I went off to Rock for a while and I came back in 2018. You get some good EDM songs from time to time in the charts like Heartbreak Anthem by Galantis, David Guetta and Little Mix or Believe Me by Navos but I still think 80's and 90's were the golden age for EDM and Rap too. I guess if you been collecting CD's since the mid 80's you got a lot bigger collection than mine, I got roughly 1000 titles in mine. I would love to have Brothers In Arms on CD. Money For Nothing which was a single from that album was the first single to be put out on CD but they only made 400 copies of it so it's very hard to get it. The first single to be available on CD that gone to no. 1 in UK was I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) by Whitney Houston in 1987.