Wrong diagnosis

Hi, I was diagnosed with aspergers as an adult ten years ago.

Long story short, married to a narcissist for twenty years who convinced me to be assessed, I went along with it thinking it would make life easier and she would change, only to be unceremoniously divorced.

I am very successful,  I run a growing  company, I manage complicated and convoluted bookings, dates and appointments, meet and deal with hundreds and thousands of people a year, executives, producers and such, I write professionally, I perform professionally on stage and more. I am functional at home,think about my family's needs, make sure my kids have what they need, make sure my friends are okay, care about others, interested in them and their feelings. 

I don't think these are autistic traits.

Is there anyone here who can point me in the direction of someone who can reassess me?

Parents
  • tell them it is a mistake ---- i mean put a sentence in your application saying u believe the diagnosis to be wrong and you declare yourself as not autistic. It is up the units/regiments involved if they want to take u or not.  Some regiments cant get certain skills and if u have one they need they will try their best to get u in. So ask for an informal chat. Strings can be pulled.

Army recruitment give loads of people some  "benefit of the doubt".  eg would take in unfit ( physically & mentally) recruits,/teenagers of all sorts and have them running around all day long weeks before training began. They would be given a weight loss\fitness plan and if they stick to it and can take instructors on a firing range and from superiors they can stay.

i am talking at private soldier level  maybe you are thinkin of officer level in which case I can say very little.

• Thanks Aidie,

Yes I have applied as an officer, so I do believe I should be able to contest. My recruiting WO is right on my side, well, of course he is.  I scored 57 on BARB (not bad considering the kids kept disturbing me - even though they knew they should leave me alone) and as a post graduate, should have some skills they want.

I have been attending my ARC regularly, training is brilliant, I love it, its like being back in cadets, but this time for real. Have already made some amazing friends and would hate to say goodbye.

Thank you for your brilliant response, it's just what I needed to hear.

• Thanks Aidie,

Yes I have applied as an officer, so I do believe I should be able to contest. My recruiting WO is right on my side, well, of course he is.  I scored 57 on BARB (not bad considering the kids kept disturbing me - even though they knew they should leave me alone) and as a post graduate, should have some skills they want.

I have been attending my ARC regularly, training is brilliant, I love it, its like being back in cadets, but this time for real. Have already made some amazing friends and would hate to say goodbye.

Thank you for your brilliant response, it's just what I needed to hear.

Children