Separation

Looking back on life I realise that everytime I struggle with a friendship, instead of resolving issues that will take potentially repeated awkward conversations and manoeuvres, I just avoid them and move on.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else? Or is that just specific to me?

One friend in particular turned out to be quite narcissistic, but I hadn't realised for the 2/3 years we were friends. When I realised I moved on quickly, but he continues to chase contact with me not understanding why I vanished. No matter what I do I can't bring myself to confront the situation. That was 10 years ago and still vexes me constantly cycling through my mind.

My partner thinks I just need to deal with it but I can't

Parents
  • I probably make it sound more dramatic than it was. I was too young to do any damage, and he was much bigger than me tbh, which is probably why it was such a big deal to overcome. But it was my Dad and the Dep.Head Teacher who encouraged me to stand up for myself, so I think I've always really resented being put in that position. Now I'm a Dad, I know it was really bad advice.

I think society just assumes that boys fight, or are content in being physically reactive. But it's really not the case often. If you push anyone into a corner and pressure them enough they will have to defend themselves, that's how I feel about that incident. Enduring bullying has had such an ongoing and profound effect on my personality and self-esteem it's frightening.

Since I was 16 I've considered myself a Buddhist. I read a book by the Dalai Lama and it clicked into place immediately. it's always brought me solace and encouraged a stillness that I can't explain. So that is where my heart has always been content and I quickly developed a practice of none reactivity, however I continue to suffer from intense anxiety in my sleep and nightmares each night.

It's good that you overcame trauma on your own. I don't chant or use a mantra when I meditate, but I have been considering it for years. I think, becoming more comfortable self identifying as Buddhist I might develop the confidence to incorporate that aspect into my practice.

My focus has shifted to helping others more. I had a son, which is of course a huge challenge with ND traits to navigate, but im also trying to setup a charity project to help people wjl are lower functioning. I hope this not only helps me move forward, but can do some good for the ND community.

I no longer fear people like I did, so I hope to use this opening up of my perspective on humanity for a greater good, maybe I'll find some peace there?

Thanks for the input though, I'll consider some of the techniques you suçceeded with Pray

• I probably make it sound more dramatic than it was. I was too young to do any damage, and he was much bigger than me tbh, which is probably why it was such a big deal to overcome. But it was my Dad and the Dep.Head Teacher who encouraged me to stand up for myself, so I think I've always really resented being put in that position. Now I'm a Dad, I know it was really bad advice.

I think society just assumes that boys fight, or are content in being physically reactive. But it's really not the case often. If you push anyone into a corner and pressure them enough they will have to defend themselves, that's how I feel about that incident. Enduring bullying has had such an ongoing and profound effect on my personality and self-esteem it's frightening.

Since I was 16 I've considered myself a Buddhist. I read a book by the Dalai Lama and it clicked into place immediately. it's always brought me solace and encouraged a stillness that I can't explain. So that is where my heart has always been content and I quickly developed a practice of none reactivity, however I continue to suffer from intense anxiety in my sleep and nightmares each night.

It's good that you overcame trauma on your own. I don't chant or use a mantra when I meditate, but I have been considering it for years. I think, becoming more comfortable self identifying as Buddhist I might develop the confidence to incorporate that aspect into my practice.

My focus has shifted to helping others more. I had a son, which is of course a huge challenge with ND traits to navigate, but im also trying to setup a charity project to help people wjl are lower functioning. I hope this not only helps me move forward, but can do some good for the ND community.

I no longer fear people like I did, so I hope to use this opening up of my perspective on humanity for a greater good, maybe I'll find some peace there?

Thanks for the input though, I'll consider some of the techniques you suçceeded with Pray

Children
  • I think that bullying affects everyone in different ways. You probably don't want to resort to violence as a means to solve disputes, and you want peaceful resolution instead.

I grew up Buddhist, however I wish I knew more of it in greater detail, I just know the general things, like to do things in moderation, to meditate, and to pray with incense sticks. I've always had intrusive negative thoughts from trauma when I meditated, and so I chose face those traumas one at a time (bite sized pieces so it's not overwhelming). Which ever one surfaced, was the one I focused on. I believe that you can overcome your trauma and find peace too. 

I'm glad that you chose to help people through setting up a charity for the ND community. That's an amazing feat! I wish you and your son all the best.