Separation

Looking back on life I realise that everytime I struggle with a friendship, instead of resolving issues that will take potentially repeated awkward conversations and manoeuvres, I just avoid them and move on.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else? Or is that just specific to me?

One friend in particular turned out to be quite narcissistic, but I hadn't realised for the 2/3 years we were friends. When I realised I moved on quickly, but he continues to chase contact with me not understanding why I vanished. No matter what I do I can't bring myself to confront the situation. That was 10 years ago and still vexes me constantly cycling through my mind.

My partner thinks I just need to deal with it but I can't

Parents
  • I've done the same thing to be honest. I think there is a tendency to ruminate about the past. I guess you have something holding you back from being able to confront people, which is probably why the situation still vexes you, maybe you question if you did the right thing, but that's just how you coped with social situations back then. Maybe there's some trauma attached to being confrontational towards others, which holds you back from being able to confront people in your life. 

• I've done the same thing to be honest. I think there is a tendency to ruminate about the past. I guess you have something holding you back from being able to confront people, which is probably why the situation still vexes you, maybe you question if you did the right thing, but that's just how you coped with social situations back then. Maybe there's some trauma attached to being confrontational towards others, which holds you back from being able to confront people in your life. 

Children
No Data