Functioning Labels - Open Discussion

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on functioning labels I see a lot of videos and posts on various social media pages. That are of the view that are a bad thing that segregates people within the autistic community. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'm not sure I care enough to pass judgment on the topic. I do understand the purpose of them because there are autistic that can live independently with minimal to no help from all the way up to people that need full time round the clock care and everyone in-between.

I would never judge or treat any autistic person differently if they were for example nonverbal vs someone like myself who would be considered high functioning. I guess I just don't necessarily understand why there seems to be a of distaste towards functioning labels.

Parents
  • These "high-functioning" or "low-functioning" labels were not created or (originally) used by autistic people. They were created and used by neurotypicals to describe how well autistic people were able to fit in to their society; to describe how easily or how well we could pass as one of them.  

• These "high-functioning" or "low-functioning" labels were not created or (originally) used by autistic people.

Not quite, as Intelligence Quota scores involving people having anything from low scores to high scores gave rise to the low, medium and high social support needs criteria being mistaken for social status criteria.

They were created and used by neurotypicals to describe how well autistic people were able to fit in to their society;

Not really, as societies consist of and are proportionally embodied by neurologically typical, atypical and divergent people, rather than as belonging to or allowing any discrimination against anyone proportion of which, with every member in the UK being as such protected from under the Equality Act 2010.

to describe how easily or how well we could pass as one of them.  

Not at all, otherwise the diagnostic criteria for the most socially impaired would not apply; whilst the least socially impaired would be the most diagnosed proportion of the autistic community, rather than the least.

• Sorry, I'm struggling to understand your syntax; so, it's difficult to know what you're trying to convey in your writing

The term “low-functioning” dates back to 1968 and William Goldfarb, Nathan Goldfarb, and Ruth C. Pollack's categorisation of autistic children on the basis of their IQ and language. The term “high autistic” was used a few years later (1973). The criticism is that these measures are not related to autism, but to arbitrary notions of what is normal for neurotypicals.

If you use oranges as a basis for describing apples, then you will always be operating from a false analogy; and an apple will always be faulted for not being an orange.

• I have always been under the impression that when such rhetorical practices are used ~ so should an exclamation mark

You're being silly, now, Deep. Hypophora does not require the response part of the call-and-response structure to be exclamatory, not in speech nor in writing. 

Not so, as I was merely being pedantic about punctuation and addressing the fact that having arguments with yourself does not form a valid consensus ~ in regard to your insistence upon mistaking the medical model of support criteria for social colloquialisms involving social status criteria, i.e., compliments and by contrast condemnations.

you previously described as and moralised to me about being, "Verbal chess is very much a game that neurotypicals delight in playing with one another. I can't speak for every autistic person, of course, but for me, direct questions are much easier to understand." So stick to direct questions, direct statements of fact and direct statements of opinion, as being then much easier to understand for the general reader.

Hmm. Sounds to me as if your ego is still smarting from this exchange from a while back. It wasn't intended as a pin to *** you, so my advice would be to let it go. I forgot about it minutes after writing it. So should you.

'Harbouring r
    esentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.'

Remember that the map is not the territory ~ or in other words the projection of your imagined fantasy of me as harbouring resentment is not the reality of me, as there was no smarting on my behalf as I was as I am now calmly explaining again the facts of the matter ~ rather than arguing about your responses in some upset or angry mannerism, in that I find your responses as fascinating and intriguing as I do anybody else's.

So again:

Anyway, back on topic ~ stating that because you have not been given any indication of having a low, medium or high level of social support needs ~ despite having been diagnosed as being on the diagnostic spectrum; arguing that it is some form of discrimination is just not the case at all in medical terms, nor in sociological terms either ~ because rather than wilful bigotry our greatest problem is actually the ignorance that facilitates and enables ill will in society.

• I have always been under the impression that when such rhetorical practices are used ~ so should an exclamation mark

You're being silly, now, Deep. Hypophora does not require the response part of the call-and-response structure to be exclamatory, not in speech nor in writing. 

you previously described as and moralised to me about being, "Verbal chess is very much a game that neurotypicals delight in playing with one another. I can't speak for every autistic person, of course, but for me, direct questions are much easier to understand." So stick to direct questions, direct statements of fact and direct statements of opinion, as being then much easier to understand for the general reader.

Hmm. Sounds to me as if your ego is still smarting from this exchange from a while back. It wasn't intended as a pin to *** you, so my advice would be to let it go. I forgot about it minutes after writing it. So should you.

'Harbouring r

• might be autistic but at least I’m high-functioning, right? Wrong.

This was my attempt at using hypophora. It's a common rhetorical device and involves asking a question, but then giving an immediate answer.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?Never. We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

In simplest terms, hypophora is a question with an immediate answer used speech and writing to capture the attention of the listener or reader.  

I know it is a common rhetorical device, although in writing I have always been under the impression that when such rhetorical practices are used ~ so should an exclamation mark be don't you think! For example.
    You can then be upfront without having to resort to ~ that which on your 'The right words in the right order.' you previously described as and moralised to me about being, "Verbal chess is very much a game that neurotypicals delight in playing with one another. I can't speak for every autistic person, of course, but for me, direct questions are much easier to understand." So stick to direct questions, direct statements of fact and direct statements of opinion, as being then much easier to understand for the general reader.
    Anyway, back on topic ~ stating that because you have not been given any indication of having a low, medium or high level of social support needs ~ despite having been diagnosed as being on the diagnostic spectrum; arguing that it is some form of discrimination is just not the case at all in medical terms, nor in sociological terms either ~ because rather than wilful bigotry our greatest problem is actually the ignorance that facilitates and enables ill will in society.

• I might be autistic but at least I’m high-functioning, right? Wrong.

This was my attempt at using hypophora. It's a common rhetorical device and involves asking a question, but then giving an immediate answer.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?Never. We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

In simplest terms, hypophora is a question with an immediate answer used speech and writing to capture the attention of the listener or reader.  

• I might be autistic but at least I’m high-functioning, right? Wrong.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Children

Not so, as I was merely being pedantic about punctuation and addressing the fact that having arguments with yourself does not form a valid consensus ~ in regard to your insistence upon mistaking the medical model of support criteria for social colloquialisms involving social status criteria, i.e., compliments and by contrast condemnations.

'Harbouring r

Remember that the map is not the territory ~ or in other words the projection of your imagined fantasy of me as harbouring resentment is not the reality of me, as there was no smarting on my behalf as I was as I am now calmly explaining again the facts of the matter ~ rather than arguing about your responses in some upset or angry mannerism, in that I find your responses as fascinating and intriguing as I do anybody else's.

So again:

'Harbouring r

• might be autistic but at least I’m high-functioning, right? Wrong.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

I know it is a common rhetorical device, although in writing I have always been under the impression that when such rhetorical practices are used ~ so should an exclamation mark be don't you think! For example.
    You can then be upfront without having to resort to ~ that which on your 'The right words in the right order.' you previously described as and moralised to me about being, "Verbal chess is very much a game that neurotypicals delight in playing with one another. I can't speak for every autistic person, of course, but for me, direct questions are much easier to understand." So stick to direct questions, direct statements of fact and direct statements of opinion, as being then much easier to understand for the general reader.