Functioning Labels - Open Discussion

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on functioning labels I see a lot of videos and posts on various social media pages. That are of the view that are a bad thing that segregates people within the autistic community. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'm not sure I care enough to pass judgment on the topic. I do understand the purpose of them because there are autistic that can live independently with minimal to no help from all the way up to people that need full time round the clock care and everyone in-between.

I would never judge or treat any autistic person differently if they were for example nonverbal vs someone like myself who would be considered high functioning. I guess I just don't necessarily understand why there seems to be a of distaste towards functioning labels.

Parents

• The general thing most people get upset or angry about is who gets to call who high, medium or low functioning ~ regarding each other's personal abilities, when the actual criteria is how socially impaired one is and how much social support one needs.

• The general thing most people get upset or angry about is who gets to call who high, medium or low functioning ~ regarding each other's personal abilities, when the actual criteria is how socially impaired one is and how much social support one needs.

Children