Adult female waiting for Autism assessment

Hi everyone, 

I am waiting for an assessment. The waiting list is about 6-8 months. This is a long time to be in 'limbo'. I am finding that my mind is very preoccupied with thoughts such as: "Am I/am I not autistic? What if I am? What if I'm not"? These thoughts can get very entangled and become all-consuming. Does anyone have any advice about how they coped with perhaps similar thoughts while they were waiting to be assessed? Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • I have just been told I'm Autistic by someone who hasn't known me that long in work, I'm 42 and find life very hard, my doctors say the Autism assessment will take up to two years, I have a full time job but I'm struggling to cope everyday now and can't sleep worrying about finding help, there's got to be an easyer way to access help than asking random strangers on this website. 

• I have just been told I'm Autistic by someone who hasn't known me that long in work, I'm 42 and find life very hard, my doctors say the Autism assessment will take up to two years, I have a full time job but I'm struggling to cope everyday now and can't sleep worrying about finding help, there's got to be an easyer way to access help than asking random strangers on this website. 

Children
No Data