Any teachers out there?

Hallo all.....I am wondering if there are any teachers amongst you? I have been a primary school teacher for the last 30 years and , looking back I just don’t know how I managed to work as teacher whilst trying to cope with the SEND system for my son who has ASD. I am currently doing an MA in Education and have been reflecting on my experiences...I thought that there must be other parents like me...

Parents
  • Hi, I'm a teacher too - adult ESL. It suits me as any subtle communication difficulties are overlooked as I teach people whose first language is not English. I've done it for a number of years now and it's only since we have had lockdown and I was teaching from home, I realised how much it takes out of me each day. I think this is a combination of always being "swtiched on" asssessing student's language and then having to be "switched on" at break times when talking to colleagues. I'm getting better at managing this now. I can also see from my recent assessment how executive function difficulties play a part in my daily life at work.This was easier too when WFH.  I've never fancied teaching kids - althought there are behaviour management issues in adult education, I feel it would just take too much of my lessons to be dealing with it in children!! Are you still teaching or have completely given up?

• Hi, I'm a teacher too - adult ESL. It suits me as any subtle communication difficulties are overlooked as I teach people whose first language is not English. I've done it for a number of years now and it's only since we have had lockdown and I was teaching from home, I realised how much it takes out of me each day. I think this is a combination of always being "swtiched on" asssessing student's language and then having to be "switched on" at break times when talking to colleagues. I'm getting better at managing this now. I can also see from my recent assessment how executive function difficulties play a part in my daily life at work.This was easier too when WFH.  I've never fancied teaching kids - althought there are behaviour management issues in adult education, I feel it would just take too much of my lessons to be dealing with it in children!! Are you still teaching or have completely given up?

Children
No Data