Desperate to get help

I've been with my partner almost 4 years and her son Glenn is 24 years old and has autism adhd and severe anxiety issues. 

I was quite badly injured in a car accident in August 2019, and also lost my job towards the end of last year, due to Covid. 

Since then things are awful between myself and Glenn. 

I'm getting counselling for my anger, frustration, depression following my accident. 

I'm trying to understand him but I really think at times he uses it as almost an excuse to not do things, change his underwear, shower. 

He just shows no passion or interest in anything apart from playing PS4 games and whatever he's having to eat every day. 

I'm desperate for help/advice as things are at breaking point now.

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • I was quite badly injured in a car accident in August 2019, and also lost my job towards the end of last year, due to Covid.

Hello, Sir

It's difficult to know what to write in response to your post other than I hear you, and I am listening.

I would say be kind to yourself first and foremost. And, if things are truly at breaking point in your relationship with Glen, then perhaps you should step away.  The problem with wanting others to be different to who they are is that it's completely insane. No one has ever been or can ever be more or less than they are. The only sane way of living is to be the person you want to be and who makes you happy.  We can easily fall into the trap of avoiding looking at ourselves and addressing our own inner conflicts by focusing all of our attention outwards towards our children/partners and finding fault with them. 

You've had a car accident and lost your job in the space of twelve months. That's a lot to deal with. You say you're getting counselling for your anger, frustration, depression following your accident so I suggest you keep your focus on yourself and your own mental well-being rather than on what Glen is or isn't doing.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is: is whatever Glen it is that Glen is doing harming anyone else?

What is it you want him to do exactly? You say he has no passion, but can you really know that?  Maybe playing his PS4 is his passion at this present time.  Speaking as an autistic person, I can tell you that some of us are very sensitive to other people's moods, especially strong negative emotions such as anger and depression. Even when people think they are concealing their true emotions from us, we can sense them very acutely.

In essence, what I'm saying to you is: find what your own passion is and live that. Maybe when Glen sees that you are happy and living out your own passions, it will inspire him to do the same. 

Positive vibes to you.

• I was quite badly injured in a car accident in August 2019, and also lost my job towards the end of last year, due to Covid.

Hello, Sir

It's difficult to know what to write in response to your post other than I hear you, and I am listening.

I would say be kind to yourself first and foremost. And, if things are truly at breaking point in your relationship with Glen, then perhaps you should step away.  The problem with wanting others to be different to who they are is that it's completely insane. No one has ever been or can ever be more or less than they are. The only sane way of living is to be the person you want to be and who makes you happy.  We can easily fall into the trap of avoiding looking at ourselves and addressing our own inner conflicts by focusing all of our attention outwards towards our children/partners and finding fault with them. 

You've had a car accident and lost your job in the space of twelve months. That's a lot to deal with. You say you're getting counselling for your anger, frustration, depression following your accident so I suggest you keep your focus on yourself and your own mental well-being rather than on what Glen is or isn't doing.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is: is whatever Glen it is that Glen is doing harming anyone else?

What is it you want him to do exactly? You say he has no passion, but can you really know that?  Maybe playing his PS4 is his passion at this present time.  Speaking as an autistic person, I can tell you that some of us are very sensitive to other people's moods, especially strong negative emotions such as anger and depression. Even when people think they are concealing their true emotions from us, we can sense them very acutely.

In essence, what I'm saying to you is: find what your own passion is and live that. Maybe when Glen sees that you are happy and living out your own passions, it will inspire him to do the same. 

Positive vibes to you.

Children
No Data