Hello advice about ADOS assessment please

Hi I’m new to this site, I’ve had a good look around but I can’t seem to find the answer to the question I have.  My son was diagnosed with Autism in December 2020 he was 13 at the time and has now just turned 14.  He is a great child but suffers terribly from anxiety and like many not great with the social aspect of life.  My question is we were just told over a video call that he has autism and they can’t do anything else to help so thanks and goodbye basically.  When the letter arrived again it stated autism with a high score of 10.  I have no idea what this means could anyone help? Also should I have received a copy of the ADOS assessment report? I feel if I know what he was assessed on maybe the score would make more sense. Anybody who has an idea I’d be grateful as school is asking what type of autism and how bad? To me he’s just the same so I don’t know. Thanks

Parents

•  My question is we were just told over a video call that he has autism and they can’t do anything else to help so thanks and goodbye basically.

Basically autism assessment / diagnostic teams or units can only do assessments and make a diagnosis if someone has autism, so any support thereafter is provided by medical, social and educational services etcetera including charitable organisations and parent groups and all that.

When the letter arrived again it stated autism with a high score of 10.  I have no idea what this means could anyone help?

An 'Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule' (or ADOS) score of 10 is the cut off point for autism meaning that your son has a high capacity for social functioning, as requiring minimum support, and anything above 10 (and I am assuming up to 20) involves a lower capacity, requiring anything from moderate to maximum support:

http://www.marilynmonteiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/AC-and-Levels-of-Support.pdf

Maybe get a copy of 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome', by Tony Attwood, which costs just short of £20 if have the spare cash. It covers all the preadolescent and adolescent developmental stages of individuals on the socially functioning spectrum through into adulthood, and all the educational and social workarounds you and your son are most likely going to need to know and use, and a fair amount of resource options too. It is a little light on detail regarding adult issues, but there are many publications out there to choose from bu Autistic authors. 

If that helps any?

•  My question is we were just told over a video call that he has autism and they can’t do anything else to help so thanks and goodbye basically.

Basically autism assessment / diagnostic teams or units can only do assessments and make a diagnosis if someone has autism, so any support thereafter is provided by medical, social and educational services etcetera including charitable organisations and parent groups and all that.

When the letter arrived again it stated autism with a high score of 10.  I have no idea what this means could anyone help?

An 'Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule' (or ADOS) score of 10 is the cut off point for autism meaning that your son has a high capacity for social functioning, as requiring minimum support, and anything above 10 (and I am assuming up to 20) involves a lower capacity, requiring anything from moderate to maximum support:

http://www.marilynmonteiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/AC-and-Levels-of-Support.pdf

Maybe get a copy of 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome', by Tony Attwood, which costs just short of £20 if have the spare cash. It covers all the preadolescent and adolescent developmental stages of individuals on the socially functioning spectrum through into adulthood, and all the educational and social workarounds you and your son are most likely going to need to know and use, and a fair amount of resource options too. It is a little light on detail regarding adult issues, but there are many publications out there to choose from bu Autistic authors. 

If that helps any?

Children
No Data