Getting a diagnosis for my son

I have just started the process of getting my 19 year old son diagnosed with autism. I have given a list of traits that make me believe this but the doctor wasn't too positive due to my son's age. What advice can you give me please

Parents
  • Hi Lisa, I’m 29 and trying to get an assessment. You do find people are more sceptical with adults than children, maybe because it’s harder to diagnose. I think when you know, you know. Ultimately, whilst a diagnosis is important for recognition and support services, you know your son and he knows he’s autistic too, so don’t be put off if it proves difficult because some random stranger who doesn’t know you or him might disagree

• Hi Lisa, I’m 29 and trying to get an assessment. You do find people are more sceptical with adults than children, maybe because it’s harder to diagnose. I think when you know, you know. Ultimately, whilst a diagnosis is important for recognition and support services, you know your son and he knows he’s autistic too, so don’t be put off if it proves difficult because some random stranger who doesn’t know you or him might disagree

Children
No Data