Getting a diagnosis for my son

I have just started the process of getting my 19 year old son diagnosed with autism. I have given a list of traits that make me believe this but the doctor wasn't too positive due to my son's age. What advice can you give me please

Parents
  • Hi there. I think my advice would be to persevere. The main problem would be the waiting time for assessment. In my area, the waiting time for assessment following referral is about 2 years for 18+ years. But if I may say, many of us here on the site have been diagnosed as adults, not children.

If you have a look through some of the recent threads, you might also find some useful advice about diagnosis.

Hang in there. 

• Hi there. I think my advice would be to persevere. The main problem would be the waiting time for assessment. In my area, the waiting time for assessment following referral is about 2 years for 18+ years. But if I may say, many of us here on the site have been diagnosed as adults, not children.

If you have a look through some of the recent threads, you might also find some useful advice about diagnosis.

Hang in there. 

Children
No Data