What do you think of self-identification?

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your opinion please. I have had a therapist and GP say I have ASD, but no formal diagnosis. Apparently that's as elusive as matching socks. I've just been on a 3 day research binge and I no longer know which way is up. In your opinion is self- identifying acceptable? I honestly don't know if it would make me a fraud or others would see me as a fraud. All I've ever wanted is to just make sense of myself and find a place where I feel I belong. I would really appreciate your thoughts, right now I have too many of my own. Thank you Slight smile

Parents
  • I don't know what I think about self diagnosis. I'm a social worker for adult social care and I know generally speaking, not just for ASD, a diagnosis is always taken more seriously than speculation. That being said, I don't always expect people to have received a diagnosis for every condition because sometimes the person themselves tells me enough in their experiences and behaviour to recognise things. I don't often work with autistic people but I think I'd not worry too much as an assessor about a formal diagnosis. Are many people claiming to be autistic when they aren't? I feel quite a stigma about it personally and I consider myself to be quite open-minded so not sure how common this would be? 

I suspect neurotypical people may not readily accept a self-diagnosis but that is probably because I'm currently weighing up pros and cons of disclosing I'm waiting for an assessment. 

• Disclosing anything about ASD Is difficult I think. You're right, there are pros and cons to consider. It's an emotional minefield.

• If you know you're ASD then you can take your own steps to look after your mental well-being - there's loads of advice on here..  

A diagnosis is essential if you are looking for support or workplace adjustments because you might not be taken seriously.

It can be done privately-  £800-£2000 according to recent replies on here-  if you're working, your company health insurance might pay for it.

My diagnosis in my 40s was private (insurance paid) - from talking to GP to formal diagnosis was just a few weeks.  

• Thank you so very much!

• Like I mentioned earlier - if you've got your life the way you want it, then it's just a piece of paper - it will not change anything about you - it's really only of use if your life has hit the buffers and things need to change - a diagnosis can be helpful in those circumstances.

You also have to remember - the 'expert' measuring you is probably NT - what do they *really* know about life as an autie?

• I love it! Thank you! I work in early years with children who have ASD, it's a little self indulgent but I feel I can be myself and be their biggest advocate at the same time.

I'm really trying to accept myself, I thought a diagnosis would help. Is it enough that a therapist and GP screening says I'm on the spectrum? I don't know, still trying to sort things out in my head. I do finally feel that there is a place I belong. Not sure if I need it validated by an expert of not.

• I don't know if you have developed 'autie-dar' yet - a radar for spotting others like yourself - you'll find us tucked away in niche jobs - places where the job requires something special - knowledge or skills or thoroughness or massive memories and organisational skills - I'm finding almost every curator or demonstrator or anyone volunteering in museums are all just like us.

I think there is a vast army of undiagnosed 'high functioning' auties who just slipped through the net when they were young.   I suspect all of my life-long friends are aspies - all successful in their own way and able to hide in plain sight - their quirks and interests became their careers - software, pilot, tech companies, engineers etc.

Embrace your uniqueness - exploit it - have fun with it!  Smiley

• Wow, thank you. I never feel I'm owed anything, more overwhelmingly grateful when I let myself slip and not everyone runs away thinking I'm weird.

• You can take the knowledge as a huge advantage for yourself - if you know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses then you can decide how you want to live.      The biggest problem if if your expectation of what life 'owes' you doesn't match with your reality.

• You can take the knowledge as a huge advantage for yourself - if you know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses then you can decide how you want to live.      The biggest problem if if your expectation of what life 'owes' you doesn't match with your reality.

Children
  • Thank you so very much!

• Like I mentioned earlier - if you've got your life the way you want it, then it's just a piece of paper - it will not change anything about you - it's really only of use if your life has hit the buffers and things need to change - a diagnosis can be helpful in those circumstances.

You also have to remember - the 'expert' measuring you is probably NT - what do they *really* know about life as an autie?

• I love it! Thank you! I work in early years with children who have ASD, it's a little self indulgent but I feel I can be myself and be their biggest advocate at the same time.

I'm really trying to accept myself, I thought a diagnosis would help. Is it enough that a therapist and GP screening says I'm on the spectrum? I don't know, still trying to sort things out in my head. I do finally feel that there is a place I belong. Not sure if I need it validated by an expert of not.

• I don't know if you have developed 'autie-dar' yet - a radar for spotting others like yourself - you'll find us tucked away in niche jobs - places where the job requires something special - knowledge or skills or thoroughness or massive memories and organisational skills - I'm finding almost every curator or demonstrator or anyone volunteering in museums are all just like us.

I think there is a vast army of undiagnosed 'high functioning' auties who just slipped through the net when they were young.   I suspect all of my life-long friends are aspies - all successful in their own way and able to hide in plain sight - their quirks and interests became their careers - software, pilot, tech companies, engineers etc.

Embrace your uniqueness - exploit it - have fun with it!  Smiley

• Wow, thank you. I never feel I'm owed anything, more overwhelmingly grateful when I let myself slip and not everyone runs away thinking I'm weird.