What do you think of self-identification?

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your opinion please. I have had a therapist and GP say I have ASD, but no formal diagnosis. Apparently that's as elusive as matching socks. I've just been on a 3 day research binge and I no longer know which way is up. In your opinion is self- identifying acceptable? I honestly don't know if it would make me a fraud or others would see me as a fraud. All I've ever wanted is to just make sense of myself and find a place where I feel I belong. I would really appreciate your thoughts, right now I have too many of my own. Thank you Slight smile

Parents
  • I don't know what I think about self diagnosis. I'm a social worker for adult social care and I know generally speaking, not just for ASD, a diagnosis is always taken more seriously than speculation. That being said, I don't always expect people to have received a diagnosis for every condition because sometimes the person themselves tells me enough in their experiences and behaviour to recognise things. I don't often work with autistic people but I think I'd not worry too much as an assessor about a formal diagnosis. Are many people claiming to be autistic when they aren't? I feel quite a stigma about it personally and I consider myself to be quite open-minded so not sure how common this would be? 

I suspect neurotypical people may not readily accept a self-diagnosis but that is probably because I'm currently weighing up pros and cons of disclosing I'm waiting for an assessment. 

• Disclosing anything about ASD Is difficult I think. You're right, there are pros and cons to consider. It's an emotional minefield.

• If you know you're ASD then you can take your own steps to look after your mental well-being - there's loads of advice on here..  

A diagnosis is essential if you are looking for support or workplace adjustments because you might not be taken seriously.

It can be done privately-  £800-£2000 according to recent replies on here-  if you're working, your company health insurance might pay for it.

My diagnosis in my 40s was private (insurance paid) - from talking to GP to formal diagnosis was just a few weeks.  

• Thank you so very much!

• Like I mentioned earlier - if you've got your life the way you want it, then it's just a piece of paper - it will not change anything about you - it's really only of use if your life has hit the buffers and things need to change - a diagnosis can be helpful in those circumstances.

You also have to remember - the 'expert' measuring you is probably NT - what do they *really* know about life as an autie?

• I love it! Thank you! I work in early years with children who have ASD, it's a little self indulgent but I feel I can be myself and be their biggest advocate at the same time.

I'm really trying to accept myself, I thought a diagnosis would help. Is it enough that a therapist and GP screening says I'm on the spectrum? I don't know, still trying to sort things out in my head. I do finally feel that there is a place I belong. Not sure if I need it validated by an expert of not.

• I love it! Thank you! I work in early years with children who have ASD, it's a little self indulgent but I feel I can be myself and be their biggest advocate at the same time.

I'm really trying to accept myself, I thought a diagnosis would help. Is it enough that a therapist and GP screening says I'm on the spectrum? I don't know, still trying to sort things out in my head. I do finally feel that there is a place I belong. Not sure if I need it validated by an expert of not.

Children
  • Thank you so very much!

• Like I mentioned earlier - if you've got your life the way you want it, then it's just a piece of paper - it will not change anything about you - it's really only of use if your life has hit the buffers and things need to change - a diagnosis can be helpful in those circumstances.

You also have to remember - the 'expert' measuring you is probably NT - what do they *really* know about life as an autie?