Recent diagnoses

Hello! I was diagnosed with autism very recently, it’s been a bit of a strange time for me, as I’m 17 so the diagnoses is pretty late.

I wondered if anyone else was diagnosed late (late teens, and onwards)  and what they did after getting diagnosed.

Im not sure how to tell people, even though I do want to tell people, and I’m not really sure how I feel!

But I’ve been reading through some of the posts on this page and everyone seems very lovely, so it’s nice to be a part of such a wonderful community.

Megs x

Parents
  • Welcome! I also recently got diagnosed (somewhat later in life than you though...)

So far I'm alternating between relief at being able to understand myself a little better, and confusion at what I can actually do to help myself in day-to-day life. I'll get there though.

So far the only people that know are my wife and a friend (and random internet strangers, obviously). I do plan on being more open about it, but I guess I just want to get things organised in my head first before I start telling other people.

I agree though - the posts on this site are lovely. It's nice to being able to discuss things and not constantly worrying that people are going to judge.

• Welcome! I also recently got diagnosed (somewhat later in life than you though...)

So far I'm alternating between relief at being able to understand myself a little better, and confusion at what I can actually do to help myself in day-to-day life. I'll get there though.

So far the only people that know are my wife and a friend (and random internet strangers, obviously). I do plan on being more open about it, but I guess I just want to get things organised in my head first before I start telling other people.

I agree though - the posts on this site are lovely. It's nice to being able to discuss things and not constantly worrying that people are going to judge.

Children
No Data