Recent diagnoses

Hello! I was diagnosed with autism very recently, it’s been a bit of a strange time for me, as I’m 17 so the diagnoses is pretty late.

I wondered if anyone else was diagnosed late (late teens, and onwards)  and what they did after getting diagnosed.

Im not sure how to tell people, even though I do want to tell people, and I’m not really sure how I feel!

But I’ve been reading through some of the posts on this page and everyone seems very lovely, so it’s nice to be a part of such a wonderful community.

Megs x

Parents
  • Hello Megs,

I was diagnosed much later then 17 ...much much later, but the question of when to tell others is the same at any age,

My advice is to not rush into it, take your time and think it through. The problem, once you've told someone, is that  you cant untell them again -  so you do need to be sure. This applies to most conditions, not just ASD. Others may not understand what autism is, so maybe you should have a little think about how you will explain it. 

Take all the time you need.

Ben

• Hello Megs,

I was diagnosed much later then 17 ...much much later, but the question of when to tell others is the same at any age,

My advice is to not rush into it, take your time and think it through. The problem, once you've told someone, is that  you cant untell them again -  so you do need to be sure. This applies to most conditions, not just ASD. Others may not understand what autism is, so maybe you should have a little think about how you will explain it. 

Take all the time you need.

Ben

Children
No Data