I'm not sure whether to be assessed for a formal diagnosis.

Hi, im Ruth and now 51.  My niece has recently been diagnosed with Autism.  Her behaviours and triggers are very similar to how i was as a child but  i was called 'difficult',  forward,  , 'creative' and then as a teen, rebellious. I do think I'm autistic.  It makes so much sense.  But, after having been bullied and abused, I'm now in a good place.  But, I still mess up.  Am still often misunderstood.  What I'm worried about is that having a diagnosis will make me relive the past, I suppose.  

Parents
  • Hi,

I just wanted to talk you for asking this and for the replies you received.

I have two children: one diagnosed with autism, the other recently with ADHD with possible autism. I have suffered from depression for years but not really thought about the cause a great deal beyond recognising that I was bullied a lot at school. But recently I have looked at my kids behaviours and seen in them my own. I have also done a few online tests and found that I score higher for possible autism than they do. So, I am also thinking about a formal diagnose, whilst wondering if, at 47, it is somewhat pointless. But I think the peace of mind argument and the being able to share with them the knowledge we have something in common (assuming we do), may win out.

All the best wishes your own decision making,

Richard

• Hi,

I just wanted to talk you for asking this and for the replies you received.

I have two children: one diagnosed with autism, the other recently with ADHD with possible autism. I have suffered from depression for years but not really thought about the cause a great deal beyond recognising that I was bullied a lot at school. But recently I have looked at my kids behaviours and seen in them my own. I have also done a few online tests and found that I score higher for possible autism than they do. So, I am also thinking about a formal diagnose, whilst wondering if, at 47, it is somewhat pointless. But I think the peace of mind argument and the being able to share with them the knowledge we have something in common (assuming we do), may win out.

All the best wishes your own decision making,

Richard

Children
No Data