Hello!

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle and I've taken the big step last week of saying out loud to my GP that I think I may be autistic. I was shaking when explaining all the reasons why but the more I spoke the more relieved I felt. The GP was sensitive, respectful and validated that everything that I was saying was plausible. 

I've basically spent my whole life feeling socially anxious, since my earliest memories as a 3yr old attending nursery to now. I'm fortunate to be academically competent but throughout my life I have been bullied, both at school and in the neighbourhood that I lived in. I'm terrified of the slightest bit of conflict, whether it exists or not. I have always preferred the sanctuary of my own space and company. Throughout my life I've had what I would describe as intense hobbies or collections that have been consuming of my thoughts. I always described it as an addictive personality but since I've read more about autism in girls and women I'm reading more and more things that I could've written myself. It is both eye opening and daunting.

I take fluoxetine for anxiety but I've realised that I find great peace in lockdown, not having to leave my home. I had also spent 2 months unemployed as I quit my job, which added to my sense of security, but I missed my job despite the anxiety I feel with it as I trained hard to do it. I'm immediately anxious even though the job hasn't even really started yet, and I've realised it is the social aspect that is triggering my anxiety, along with many unknowns such as the unfamiliar geographical area and the driving. I am always petrified of looking stupid and I don't use these words lightly. I feel frozen sometimes.

I live in an area where you can self refer to the autism service so I have done this in great detail. I have been told there is a 6+ month wait. I'm a bit nervous that the assessment may come around and I may just be wrong, which would be hard to take as I feel such a relief to have found what feels like an explanation for so many things I struggle and have struggled with. I did complete the AQ10 I think it was called and I got a strong result on that but it was very brief and I suppose there are a lot of people who feel they have "traits". 

Sorry for going on a bit! 

Parents
  • welcome to the forum.  Slight smile 

you gave up social working because of the social aspect and the high levels of travel,, isnt that correct ? but  you are now training to be a counsellor  Slight smile

• The social element of social work is usually 1:1 or 1:2 so it is more bearable for me, but I can find the unpredictability of the phone calls hard. The visits are fine once I get there. The pandemic made everything have to happen over phone or video call and that was difficult for me. 

• thats interesting i feel very comfortable on the phone but not video calls. I had 2 telesales jobs on and off which made me very used to people on the phone. In fact i have a separate personality on the phone.

i hate face to face video calls  basically because I am on camera

yes suddenly getting a call is hard especially if u have autism. I did IT support and used to take all their details and then ask if i can ring them back (when i had useful information ready at hand or had a chance to read up on their history). Most people are ok with that as they aren't paying for phone call

also i noticed they had calmed down more as well so the call could be much better

• yes messaging provides a gap to think Thumbsup

Reply Children
No Data