Hello from SoCal

I'd love to make a few connections here. I realize this is an UK forum. Does anyone know a forum that is more frequented by Californians?

A bit about myself: I am 31 years old and started to suspect recently that I might be on the autism spectrum. My ex-wife (I got recently divorced) often complained about my lack of emotional intelligence and suggested I get myself tested for Asperger's. Back then, I took it as an insult since I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I had some preconceived notions about autism. More recently, the Youtube algorithm decided to show me videos on autism/by autistic people. Watching these videos and reading books about autism I started to strongly recognize myself in these people. Suddenly, it became pretty clear for me that I am likely somewhere on the autism spectrum. I also did a couple of online tests and they always came out as likely autistic. I want to get assessed for ASD and I live close to the Koegel Autism Center. Anyone ever had any experience with them?

I wanted to share a bit about my autistic traits: Despite never experiencing mental health issues, I have all my life struggled with relationships and social interactions. I am horrible at making friends and also very bad at keeping them. A common experience for me is that I meet someone and we seem to be getting along great. I am like "Oh boy, this is going great", but the next time we meet the person awkwardly avoids me. I usually have no idea what went wrong. I also have some issues with eye contact, that as a child would lead to me always looking at the floor when walking. I don't to this anymore, but walking past people can still be uncomfortable for me. Especially, if I am supposed to greet the person and I am not sure what is the right distance to establish eye contact, initiate greeting gesture, etc. Anyone else has that experience? I have minor sensory issues, like very special (fortunately rare) noises that drive me completely crazy. I also always have something on my desk to fiddle with. I am a crybaby when it comes to movies.

I realize that my bad social skills are often holding me back. Anyone has any good ideas on how to train them, especially now during these pandemic times?

Parents
  • I usually have no idea what went wrong.

yep thats what happens to me 

I have minor sensory issues, like very special (fortunately rare) noises that drive me completely crazy.

to me they are major, coomon noises upset me, and I have to carry rubber reusable ear plugs all the time

• yep thats what happens to me 

I hate when that happens. Back when I was married, my wife would sometimes tell me what went wrong (if she was also there), but not in a very constructive way, unfortunately.

to me they are major, coomon noises upset me, and I have to carry rubber reusable ear plugs all the time

My kryptonite is metal scratching on metal. As a child I wouldn't tell anyone because I was afraid that it's going to be used against me.

• i made that mistake dont let your enemy know your weaknesses

Reply Children
No Data