Hello everyone,

Hi l hope you are all ok?

My 17yr old daughter received her official diagnosis of ASD today, we have been going through the process for three years.

she already has a diagnosis of Anxiety and Depression and we have a ADHD assessment on the 26th. 

I am just looking to connect with other parents, l am also wondering if anyone has any recommendations with regards to weighted blankets, l want to get my daughter one.

Thank you

Sarah

• Hi @Sarah,

Well done for finally getting through the diagnostic process. You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism . You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/help-and-support/parent-to-parent

I hope this helps,

ChloeMod

• nice contribution

• Before her diagnosis my daughter would repeatedly say that there was no one like her at her school and that although she had friends they weren't like her, didn't have the same interests or values. Now that she has her diagnosis she seems accepting of this difference and it is OK. She is autistic, they are not, they have major differences but they can still be friends. This is really helpful for her in understanding what is valuable in a friendship and hopefully enabling her to extend her friendship group to others that are not like her. We'll see. She has only had her diagnosis for four weeks. We are all learning.

• That's funny, I had more platonic boy friends in school. I just didn't gel with the other girls.

It was a massive taboo for a girl from my background to be friends with so many boys but my parents couldn't stop me making friends at school. It did mean I couldn't go to anything after school or at the weekend unless it was school sanctioned. 

• That is sad Sarah. My daughter does have a small group of friends who chose her as opposed to her choosing them. Interestingly they are even more socially awkward than she is although none of them have ASC? She used to be frustrated by them, often saying that they 'weren't like her' (they aren't they don't have ASC) but since her diagnosis she has become more accepting of their differences and can see where they help her in practical ways like taking the bus home from college with her. She is unable to do this alone. They are totally accepting of her diagnosis and do accept her just for being her. She finds it easier to befriend boys as these friendships seem more straightforward and less emotionally engaged. She definitely finds it easier to communicate through her phone/social media than in person. Would your daughter ever join an online group?

F

• They've become a bit of a fashion accessory. It's good in a way because it means we have more choice because NTs are buying them but bad because people think that because they have a weighted blanket they're autistic. It's like the sheldon Cooper effect all over again

• Thank you i will have a look at them as well, it mind blowing the amount out there.

• One of my weighted blankets is from the hoody company. It's good because it's soft, seam free on the blanket (some weighted blankets have seams where they sew in the beads) and didn't smell when it arrived.

down sides was that you only had a limited number of weights to choose from and a limited variety of colours too. I'm not "into" colours so I didn't mind. 

the brand was kuddli or some other horrific "cute" misspelling of the word cuddly

• I also think my daughters depression and anxiety was down to the fact of not getting diagnosed with ASD and ADHD sooner. Friendships have always been difficult for her as the people she has encountered just don't understand, so she has given up on having friends (at the moment) which is really sad. 

• Yes, she does want a weighted blanket. She likes to feel pressure so to be hugged really tightly etc. I was also thinking about a giant hoodie, for myself as well, as they do see really lovely and soft. 

• I have told her to make an account and have a look around, so hopefully she will.

• Hello Sarah

Good to meet you. My 17 year old daughter was also diagnosed with ASC just before Christmas after four years in the darkness of not knowing what was going on with her and how to support her effectively.  She already had a diagnosis of anxiety and OCD but was found not to have ADHD. She also suffers from low mood/depression which we think is caused by her having to cope in a world not designed for her. Now that she has this diagnosis we have so many more sources of help and support to turn to, like this Forum. Her college is putting together a support plan and offering her a keyworker, councillor and mentor. The NHS are still dragging their heels but they have not been much source of support anywhere along her journey to improved mental health and we paid for a private diagnosis.

I was also going to ask the Forum about weighted blankets. My daughter wants one but I think that the heavy duvet and blanket that she likes is doing the job anyway. 

Best wishes

• Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I will look into that brand of blanket. 

• I didn't have my diagnosis at this point so couldn't tell them I was Autistic. I did tell them I struggle with loud noises and small spaces but they didn't offer any comfort or reassurance. I kept going as long as I could (probably about 40 minutes) but I had to press the buzzer because I was crying and starting to panic. I then had a panic attack and had to be let out of the side door to avoid walking through the hospital to the car park. It definitely is not a nice experience but needs must. 

• i was offered an MRI but chickened out   it just looks so scary :(

• Hi! 

I got a weighted blanket for Christmas and I love it, obviously everyones sensory needs are a bit different but I feel that I need pressure on my back and shoulders. I also have an issue with touching velvet and similar textures so I wanted a normal one, as I'd found a few velvet ones. I have the Pro Maison quilted weighted blanket, its currently out of stock on amazon but I really like this one! Hope that helps

• I got my weighted blanket from Groupon but I couldn't get on with it. I struggle with anxiety and feeling trapped (I'm not sure if it classes as claustrophobia but I did have a panic attack when having an MRI). I found the blanket added to this rather than helped. I find it beneficial to use a normal, soft blanket and wrap myself in it instead. 

• would she be able to interact with people here ? It might help