Personal hygiene

Hi I’ve only just joined. We don’t have a diagnosis yet for our 11 year old daughter (assessment due to take place on 2 February) but it is suspected that she will be diagnosed with Aspergers and possible ADHD.

A current issue we are struggling to manage is the fact that she doesn’t want to wash. When we tell her she needs to shower there’s always a reason why she can’t or won’t. She really smells. She knows she smells but still won’t get in the shower. She says if we keep telling her to do it she won’t.

Had anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Parents
  • Would she have an old fashioned flannel wash where she could have a special flannel that was the right texture, colour or pattern? A bath mat that feels good to stand on? She could even use a bowl and have the wash where ever she felt comfortable. She could control the lighting, have music, even have her favourite TV show or film on.

My teenage daughter is the opposite. Her bedtime washing routine has to be done no matter how tired she is, or how late it is. Going to bed is a routine that takes two hours. She can not contemplate not washing, or washing her hair nightly.

• Would she have an old fashioned flannel wash where she could have a special flannel that was the right texture, colour or pattern? A bath mat that feels good to stand on? She could even use a bowl and have the wash where ever she felt comfortable. She could control the lighting, have music, even have her favourite TV show or film on.

My teenage daughter is the opposite. Her bedtime washing routine has to be done no matter how tired she is, or how late it is. Going to bed is a routine that takes two hours. She can not contemplate not washing, or washing her hair nightly.

Children
No Data