Personal hygiene

Hi I’ve only just joined. We don’t have a diagnosis yet for our 11 year old daughter (assessment due to take place on 2 February) but it is suspected that she will be diagnosed with Aspergers and possible ADHD.

A current issue we are struggling to manage is the fact that she doesn’t want to wash. When we tell her she needs to shower there’s always a reason why she can’t or won’t. She really smells. She knows she smells but still won’t get in the shower. She says if we keep telling her to do it she won’t.

Had anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Parents
  • i dont wash as much as i should or as much as other people. cant explain why. I force myself when going to doctor/ dentist. 

this was a massive advantage in the polish army where u go for weeks without touching water. There, I also I learnt/was taught how to babywipe myself down ---  or hand fannel myself clean.

there does come a point when i think "right u need a shower". 

i know that NTs are also prone to this as well ( in the polish army again ),,,, I mean the army spent time and effort teaching young people ( 17/18/19 yr olds ) how to look after themselves and take pride in your appearance as u represent your unit at all times.. It was rated as an important thing for overall morale and health. It was so particular going to lecture on "Cleaning yourself" 

so i think maybe on one new attempt would be to find videos on "how and why you should shower/look after yourself" so the message is coming from someone else. 

• i dont wash as much as i should or as much as other people. cant explain why. I force myself when going to doctor/ dentist. 

this was a massive advantage in the polish army where u go for weeks without touching water. There, I also I learnt/was taught how to babywipe myself down ---  or hand fannel myself clean.

there does come a point when i think "right u need a shower". 

i know that NTs are also prone to this as well ( in the polish army again ),,,, I mean the army spent time and effort teaching young people ( 17/18/19 yr olds ) how to look after themselves and take pride in your appearance as u represent your unit at all times.. It was rated as an important thing for overall morale and health. It was so particular going to lecture on "Cleaning yourself" 

so i think maybe on one new attempt would be to find videos on "how and why you should shower/look after yourself" so the message is coming from someone else. 

Children
No Data