New Joiner

In my late forties I started wondering why with one friend who I was totally at ease with I could behave so odd. After several false starts I read an asperger book that I related to, then a second. After a few months of bewilderment I did the AQ test and instead of being on the quirky side of normal I came out close to average. It felt like I'd been skating obliviously and suddenly I'd fallen through the ice. I told my sister and after an awkward silence she revealed that I'd been diagnosed at 3 with autism. That was Sept 2020.

It makes so much sense. At many levels I'm superfunctioning, but on the inside I've kinda always been bewlidered, push to keep going, and although I have dozens of friends feel quite profoundly lonely. Connecting or attaching has been almost impossible for me. Reading seems I'm fairly textbook for a neurotypical passing, high functioning autistic person. Being on an alien planet totally sums me up.

I'm gay, and totally don't fit into the gay scene, as it seems many autistic men don't. I also really struggle to read flirting signals. I miss them, I miss moves, so although I fall for guys I rarely get it together with anyone. I have had two good relationships and once I'm in I seem to function well.

I'm at the beginning of my journey (Sept 2020) of making sense of this, and remaking sense of my past 50 years. I'm struggling to find good books for men written by autistic writers rather than clinicians. Aspergirls is the only adult book I've found helpful, then All Cats have Aspergers and Inside Aspergers Looking Out.

Parents
  • welcome to this forum. 

I recommend you start a discussion in autistic adults.

Can't  believe you were diagnosed when 3 and no one mentioned it to you, later or as you grew up  !  

2 books I have read 

Temple Grandin -  The autistic mind     <<<<< available in most libraries     she has a very different view of autism

Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight: A young man’s voice from the silence of autism

its feedback from the mind of a non-verbal boy, read it,  totally astonishing. Written letter by letter.

Heart

• Thanks Aidie, it was lovely to be welcomed. I'll definitely get the two books you recommended.

I wasn't sure what you thought I should post in autistic adults. I'm guessing my main questions have been asked before and I'll look for old posts: books; and coming to terms with what's NT and what's AS. But I'm very open to a suggestion.

Yeah, it was surreal discovering I'd been diagnosed. I do remember a conversation with my mother around ten about a diagnosis I'd been given and my left brain not talking to my right brain (one of the theories in 1973), but I was the brightest in my class so didn't think about it. I trust they did what they thought best.

I also did weekly therapy for 9 years, surely she must have noticed, she was good, she can't have just thought I had chronic avoidant attachment. It did help, but just the little I've read is helping lots more maybe at spotting and changing my patterns.

Thanks again for the hello, m

• Thanks Aidie, it was lovely to be welcomed. I'll definitely get the two books you recommended.

I wasn't sure what you thought I should post in autistic adults. I'm guessing my main questions have been asked before and I'll look for old posts: books; and coming to terms with what's NT and what's AS. But I'm very open to a suggestion.

Yeah, it was surreal discovering I'd been diagnosed. I do remember a conversation with my mother around ten about a diagnosis I'd been given and my left brain not talking to my right brain (one of the theories in 1973), but I was the brightest in my class so didn't think about it. I trust they did what they thought best.

I also did weekly therapy for 9 years, surely she must have noticed, she was good, she can't have just thought I had chronic avoidant attachment. It did help, but just the little I've read is helping lots more maybe at spotting and changing my patterns.

Thanks again for the hello, m

Children
No Data