Trying to find a diagnosis

Hi everyone, I’m Haylee. I’m 24. So I don’t really know where to begin. I have felt “off” from everyone else for my entire life up to this point. I have trouble maintaining relationships whether it be intimate or just friends. I have outbursts about “small” things practically everyday about subjects that are very important to me but not everyone else. I feel that in social settings I am only comfortable talking about things relating to science and my family just always calls me a “brainiac” and “too smart for them”. But I don’t feel that way, I just feel like I delve really deep into certain things. I know being on the spectrum means different things for everyone, and it’s different for adult women. But I want to know what I should do to figure out what could be going on with me. I want to know if I can function around others the way I want to. Please, if anyone has felt the same way, reach out and let me know that there is some kind of hope. 

Parents
  • Hello there,

As Bumblebee said, the GP is the best place to begin your journey of getting a diagnosis. I did it in my mid 30's and although it did take over a year from start to finish it was well worth it once I had the diagnosis. I was assigned a psychologist who went over my life through many discussions, including school reports, doctors notes, case files from mental health practitioners that had seen me over the years.

Although the process is slow and rather painful at times, you could come out of it understanding yourself more clearly and hopefully with more direction for the future. Once I was confirmed as having ASD, many things in my life and how I react and behave became so much clearer. Now I'm proud of my autism and embrace it, even in the hard times when everything becomes too much. For me exercise, and or being alone calms me down when all becomes too much; but we all have our own ways of coping. I too think about science a lot, and its one of my triggers that gets me way to excited and obsessed, so I tend to only visit that subject occasionally which works for me most of the time. Being connected to the world with heightened senses is overwhelming, but over time I have learnt how to control my reactions to this.  Hope it all works out for you :)

• Hello there,

As Bumblebee said, the GP is the best place to begin your journey of getting a diagnosis. I did it in my mid 30's and although it did take over a year from start to finish it was well worth it once I had the diagnosis. I was assigned a psychologist who went over my life through many discussions, including school reports, doctors notes, case files from mental health practitioners that had seen me over the years.

Although the process is slow and rather painful at times, you could come out of it understanding yourself more clearly and hopefully with more direction for the future. Once I was confirmed as having ASD, many things in my life and how I react and behave became so much clearer. Now I'm proud of my autism and embrace it, even in the hard times when everything becomes too much. For me exercise, and or being alone calms me down when all becomes too much; but we all have our own ways of coping. I too think about science a lot, and its one of my triggers that gets me way to excited and obsessed, so I tend to only visit that subject occasionally which works for me most of the time. Being connected to the world with heightened senses is overwhelming, but over time I have learnt how to control my reactions to this.  Hope it all works out for you :)

Children
No Data