Hi Everyone

Hi

I'm in my late forties, married with three children I work for in IT for the NHS.

I've been recently diagnosed as ASD, although my wife and then myself have suspected this for years.

With diagnosis comes acceptance which is proving anything but straightforward but at least the am I or aren't if moments have gone. At least now I can see why I acted as I have done and said what I have said overcome life.

Work and family pressure over the last few years has led to me displaying more and more autistic behaviour as making has become more difficult. I also worry that as I am getting older I have less energy reserves. This leaves me having more meltdowns or withdrawals as I struggle to cope with rapidly changing situations both at work and at home.

Cheers

Colin

Parents
  • I work in public sector IT as well, so does my wife. Both of us are working from home. Are you working from Home (WFH) ? What field of IT are you in ? eg developer, tester, database manager .......  Oh I was similar to you in that my autism got worse and so I had to get a diagnosis ( approx 1 year ago ) as I was getting into arguments etc. I looked into this briefly ( research papers )  and yep autism can get worse as you get older.   My "solution/response"  to getting a  diag. of autism  was to teach myself meditation ( Zen/Mindfulness ) which l still do everyday.   

• I work in public sector IT as well, so does my wife. Both of us are working from home. Are you working from Home (WFH) ? What field of IT are you in ? eg developer, tester, database manager .......  Oh I was similar to you in that my autism got worse and so I had to get a diagnosis ( approx 1 year ago ) as I was getting into arguments etc. I looked into this briefly ( research papers )  and yep autism can get worse as you get older.   My "solution/response"  to getting a  diag. of autism  was to teach myself meditation ( Zen/Mindfulness ) which l still do everyday.   

Children
  • Hi Aidie

I used to work as a 3rd tier server/infrastructure "engineer" but have moved out of the technical side and now work in IT Asset and Change Management.

Funnily enough,  my wife also works in the public sector. We've both been on and off wfh. I find WFH the hardest as it is difficult to transition from home me to work me.