Hi Everyone

Hi

I'm in my late forties, married with three children I work for in IT for the NHS.

I've been recently diagnosed as ASD, although my wife and then myself have suspected this for years.

With diagnosis comes acceptance which is proving anything but straightforward but at least the am I or aren't if moments have gone. At least now I can see why I acted as I have done and said what I have said overcome life.

Work and family pressure over the last few years has led to me displaying more and more autistic behaviour as making has become more difficult. I also worry that as I am getting older I have less energy reserves. This leaves me having more meltdowns or withdrawals as I struggle to cope with rapidly changing situations both at work and at home.

Cheers

Colin

Parents
  • I am also diagnosed late in life and went through a process of reconceptualising all my life. It was a positive experience for me and I think it lead to me allowing myself to stop masking, at least at home. Home is where I can relax.Is that a possibility fo yoy? Less masking at home?

• I am also diagnosed late in life and went through a process of reconceptualising all my life. It was a positive experience for me and I think it lead to me allowing myself to stop masking, at least at home. Home is where I can relax.Is that a possibility fo yoy? Less masking at home?

Children
  • Ah relax at home! That would be nice. Yes I can but usually it is after the kids have gone to bed and we've had our dinner, so late. I occasionally drop my mask but this leads to me ignoring everyone as my mind either obsesses about one thing or rapidly bounces around the place. I also tend to get distracted by things, a gaming book or a miniature I've painted and can spend hours studying it if I let myself.

The truth is I've been masking for so long, I'm not actually sure what is the real me and I'm slowly getting to know myself. I'm trying to break the mask to meltdown cycle.