New & Confused

Hi All,

I'm Julie, and am new to all This, my 10yo daughter  has just been diagnosed with Autism, and if I'm honest, I haven't a clue, how to discuss this diagnosis to her as I don't fully understand it myself, I would really appreciate some guidance. Many thanks 

Parents
  • NAS used to run Help! programme that really helped to make sense of the diagnosis. Not sure what the do now, worth checking.  Reading Tony Attwood helped me at the time. However lately he he slid in autism denigration and ableist discourse and so just be aware he is no longer the person to turn to first.

'How to grow up autistic and awesome' by Siena Castellon helped my daughter. It is written by a remarkable teenage girl, so your daughter might relate.

• NAS used to run Help! programme that really helped to make sense of the diagnosis. Not sure what the do now, worth checking.  Reading Tony Attwood helped me at the time. However lately he he slid in autism denigration and ableist discourse and so just be aware he is no longer the person to turn to first.

'How to grow up autistic and awesome' by Siena Castellon helped my daughter. It is written by a remarkable teenage girl, so your daughter might relate.

Children
  • However lately he he slid in autism denigration and ableist discourse and so just be aware he is no longer the person to turn to first.

Thanks for pointing that out. There are several things I'd take issue in in the video, but I still think it may explain how professionals see autism.

Siena Castellon sounds great at emphasising the positives, so long as the book doesn't raise expectations of meeting Little Mix.