New to this forum; diagnosed as autistic in January 2020

Hi,

I'm Ess Cee (which as you'll probably guess means my initials are SC). Correct!

I'd be interested in sharing experience with people newly diagnosed as adults. For me, it was no surprise (I've suspected it for a long time) but it was a 'shock'. Maybe I am just very good at pretending to be neurotypical. How exhausting that is! It's really a tremendous relief to start letting some of the autism out . . .

Parents
  • Hi welcome. I am also waiting for assessment ....3yrs now and probably forever more due to COVID 19 See no evil I am also expecting Asperger's. I know that I learnt to mask from school age, apparently girls are better at this than boys. So these learnt behaviours almost become the 'norm', except they are exhausting due to the additional effort. I wasn't aware that I was putting in extra effort, I thought that was normal until I entered adulthood. I am now 54 and reaching a point, where the effort is getting too much. I also feel as if I should be respectful to myself and be more accepting. It sounds as if you are also recognising this. 

• Hi welcome. I am also waiting for assessment ....3yrs now and probably forever more due to COVID 19 See no evil I am also expecting Asperger's. I know that I learnt to mask from school age, apparently girls are better at this than boys. So these learnt behaviours almost become the 'norm', except they are exhausting due to the additional effort. I wasn't aware that I was putting in extra effort, I thought that was normal until I entered adulthood. I am now 54 and reaching a point, where the effort is getting too much. I also feel as if I should be respectful to myself and be more accepting. It sounds as if you are also recognising this. 

Children
  • Hi Oscie

Me too - the effort and the exhaustion were just how life was. Plus, I thought, I wasn't very good at it. 'Must try harder'.

Waiting for assessment is no fun. I coped as best I could by setting up daily little art projects for myself - and keeping a workbook and photographs - as well as keeping my getting up routine as stress-free as possible.

I also kept in mind that I would be unlikely to be on the list for assessment at all unless there were indications that I fitted somewhere on the spectrum. Just as true for you.

And yes, I totally agree, one of the best benefits you can have is self-acceptance.

Every good wish
    Ess Cee