Hi, I'm a new girl!!

Hello, I found out I might have Asperger's a few months ago. My brother was diagnosed with it when he was 23 and when it was put to me that I might have it too, I was very shocked and told them that I didn't as I was nothing like my brother.  Also I'm 36 and it has never been mentioned before.

I have since done some reading as I started to question it and alot of what I've read could have been written about me....I could identify with so much of it. I now understand that Asperger's can be different in girls. It explains so much about all the struggles in my life and that maybe I'm not just a failure!  I'm now tring to get assessed for a diagnosis....

If you're a girl in a similar position, it would be great to hear from you!

Parents
  • Thankyou very much DaisyGirl, that is really helpful...it is so nice to find people like me! I have read Aspergirls and I could identify with most of the traits she has written at the back, and the book has so much that I can relate to.  I haven't read Tony Attwood's book though so I might have a read of that.

I am actually in the mental health services as I had a breakdown in 2003 and have been struggling very much since then....I've been given several different diagnoses but now I know I might be an aspie, that makes so much more sense!! I have a Dr and psychologist who I am really pushing to refer me for diagnosis. 

I can identify with what you say about your experience, I have sensory issues with my hearing, certain noises really hurt and I carry earplugs around with me. I was bullied at school and really struggle to have friends, I was really shy when I was little and I used to sometimes totally freeze when with other people and although I'm a better at it now in certain ways, often it feels like I'm putting on a 'show' when I'm with other people and often have a meltdown afterwards.  I also have to have structure and routimes and I can really panic sometimes if they are changed.

Thankyou for your advice!

• Thankyou very much DaisyGirl, that is really helpful...it is so nice to find people like me! I have read Aspergirls and I could identify with most of the traits she has written at the back, and the book has so much that I can relate to.  I haven't read Tony Attwood's book though so I might have a read of that.

I am actually in the mental health services as I had a breakdown in 2003 and have been struggling very much since then....I've been given several different diagnoses but now I know I might be an aspie, that makes so much more sense!! I have a Dr and psychologist who I am really pushing to refer me for diagnosis. 

I can identify with what you say about your experience, I have sensory issues with my hearing, certain noises really hurt and I carry earplugs around with me. I was bullied at school and really struggle to have friends, I was really shy when I was little and I used to sometimes totally freeze when with other people and although I'm a better at it now in certain ways, often it feels like I'm putting on a 'show' when I'm with other people and often have a meltdown afterwards.  I also have to have structure and routimes and I can really panic sometimes if they are changed.

Thankyou for your advice!

Children
No Data