Introduction and in need of advice

Hello, don't really know how to start this, Ummm.... 

Ok, so I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum nearly 3 years ago after actually knowing I was "different" from my peers for most of school life and work life, anxiety and depression have followed me around for a long long time I just got extremely good at hiding everything from everyone (or so I thought), I have a nephew who was diagnosed on the spectrum 10years ago so my sister has told me since I went for my diagnosis that she had an inkling I might have been on the spectrum too.

I've worked full-time ever since I left school but have recently been put on furlough because of the lockdown which has taken time to adjust to a new routine of essentially doing not a lot, I work in a physical job which also needs some mental application and not having a lot to do has really affected me mentally, some days I have no drive to get anything done or when I do have something to do I get it done so quickly that I then get frustrated that I didn't pace myself to make the task last longer therefore prolonging the time I'm active and reducing the length of time spent "stuck in my head".

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any advice on how to get motivated or how to avoid getting "stuck in my head" as I'm really beginning to struggle and I don't want to have to talk to my go as they are currently so overrun with everything else that's going on. 

Sorry for rambling 

Parents
  • Hello there, 

I agree with what Mountain Goat says about finding a hobby. That’s what I have done recently. I too have been furloughed, so my routine has changed, and I found I was getting into my old ways before I was working. Shutting myself off from people more and more, I’m not a sociable person anyway, but the lockdown has made me even less so. If I’m honest I actually prefer not having to be as talkative as I would if I was at work. But saying that, it’s probably a good thing that I’m forced to be more talkative when I’m at work, otherwise I’d happily not say more than 50 words all day. But getting back to your current issue, I think a hobby would solve your problem. I’ve recently bought a digital piano, and I’m starting to learn the basics. It’s difficult, but it’s definitely something to keep me occupied. Maybe something like a musical instrument would do the trick for you too? 

• Hello there, 

I agree with what Mountain Goat says about finding a hobby. That’s what I have done recently. I too have been furloughed, so my routine has changed, and I found I was getting into my old ways before I was working. Shutting myself off from people more and more, I’m not a sociable person anyway, but the lockdown has made me even less so. If I’m honest I actually prefer not having to be as talkative as I would if I was at work. But saying that, it’s probably a good thing that I’m forced to be more talkative when I’m at work, otherwise I’d happily not say more than 50 words all day. But getting back to your current issue, I think a hobby would solve your problem. I’ve recently bought a digital piano, and I’m starting to learn the basics. It’s difficult, but it’s definitely something to keep me occupied. Maybe something like a musical instrument would do the trick for you too? 

Children
No Data