Introduction

Hello my name is Gordon and I am relatively new to the spectrum. I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome last year, at the time my good lady and daughter suggested I sign up to a site like this but at my age I thought bugger to that! But now as the country is now in this terrible time I thought maybe I should. Life is short and far too precious to be trying to be proud. As it happens I am glad I was diagnosed as it answered so many questions I had. All through my life I had always been different. I was quiet and I hated chage and anything loud made me want to scream and cover my ears. As a lad I often acted out of character when things got on top of me, this resulted in having my father's belt. When my lady and I had our first child, our son and he was different i made sure to never try to shape him into an ordinary man like my father had done with me in the hopes he would turn out as himself and not my own idea of how he should be. This worked for us and he became a fine man, different in the way he acted and spoke but we didn't care. He was healthy and loving and we loved him.
In total we had seven children, five daughters and two sons. They were all different and reminded me of myself when I was growing up. They didn't have to fight in any wars or have their father's belt to contend with so I like to think despite their difficulties they had good and happy childhoods. Having lived through many things I was able to encourage them to go into the right things. I have done many things including serving as a police officer in the 1980s and 1990s, and other than driving some of Britain's finest cars the job was not a good one for someone on the spectrum so I encouraged them to do quieter jobs which didn't involve so much noise and change. It wasn't until the last ten years when they were diagnosed with Aspergers and it was their diagnosis' which got me to thinking maybe I should be diagnosed as well. At my time of life there seemed little point but after my good lady's nagging and constant keeping on rom my children, and grandchildren, I went and now here we are. I'm at a loss really of what to do now that I am diagnosed. I'm the same as I ever was and other than doing breathing exercises and learning games with my family not much has changed. Unfortunately I lost my good lady in December 2019 and I still struggle to adjust to life without her and miss her, nagging and all! I am lucky though to have a very big loving family still with me and they keep my days full of life and pleasure.

So I suppose the only thing left for me to say is hello, how do you do?

Parents
  • Hi Gordon, it's an epic introduction. Sorry to hear about your wife passing away.  I would like to say welcome and feel free to join in discussions. Some of the topics are heavy and some are just fun, but it's a place we can be ourselves and try to support each other. 

Was it a Sierra Cosworth you used to drive?

• Hi Gordon, it's an epic introduction. Sorry to hear about your wife passing away.  I would like to say welcome and feel free to join in discussions. Some of the topics are heavy and some are just fun, but it's a place we can be ourselves and try to support each other. 

Was it a Sierra Cosworth you used to drive?

Children
  • Thank you muchly. I was worried I might have put too much in! And thank you, we both had some fine memories in our years together and I think of those when I start to feel blue. Yes I did as a matter of fact. I drove the Sierra, the Mk2 Ford Granadas, the Vauxhall Senator 3.0i 24v and the Rover 800. All excellent cars, especially those Senators, they stuck to the road like glue. The Sierra and Senator were my favourite to drive because they were so reliable. When I drove those I felt in control all the time on any corner and road in any weather. I felt like they could never let me down, and they never did. One of the reasons why I bought a Sierra and Senator in the mid and late 80s. Sadly I lost my license due to eyesight problems in 2015. But whilst I did it, it was a good job, rewarding at the best of times but hardly ever stuck to a schedule. New jobs every day, meeting new people and being in some very uncomfortable situations like when being yelled at and spat on by those you were trying to arrest. I was lucky to mostly do driving work but you never just drove, you had to do arrests and questioning as well which I found hard which is why I left in the early 90s. After that I ended up as a security guard in a local shop and that did for me. The same routine every day and the same staff in the shop, never too noisy and I only ran into troublemakers once in a blue moon. It did for me. I stayed in that job from the early 90s to 2015 when my sight started to fail me.

I will have a look around and see what I can participate in, whilst I can still see!