Hi, I’m new and only just diagnosed

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with Autism at the age of 29. I have special interests in hamster genetics, Pokemon and Harry Potter. I’m still in shock from the diagnosis but it hasn’t yet been 24 hours since I was told the outcome of my assessment. I’m just now questioning what that now means for me, like what do I do to access support or help now I have a diagnosis. I have struggled to get a job my entire adult life as everything I am qualified for I struggle doing practically as it involves communication with others and a lot of small talk. I can do the theory behind it all but I can’t put it into practice. I was given the diagnosis at the end of the assessment as I ticked nearly every marker on their diagnostic test, there was only a couple that I didn’t tick. My parents are in denial so I can’t talk to them about it and I don’t know where to turn. The psychologist suggested the National Autistic Society as a starting point to look up information and she is going to send me some information to signpost me to other places when she sends out the official report.  

Parents Reply Children
  • I’m thinking of going back to university to do applied biology but I’m a bit apprehensive as I don’t know what support would be available. 
    I love any big dogs, I find malamutes fascinating especially how they were brought back from the last 12 existing at the end of the war