Hello I Am New Here

Hi I guess, I don't know what to write really and feel abit overwhelmed but I have been a reader for a few months now and want to attempt to engage. I am a 31 y/o male who is now seeking a diagnosis for asd and am the 'further assessment list' after a few visits to the GP.

I have always been a 'bit different' with very few friends across my life. I have had on and off very bad mental health 2014 was my darkest year with some serious suicide contemplation's. I still live my mother and dog. My younger seemingly NT brother moved out some time ago and is moving down south very soon. My father is estranged and I haven't seen him I believe since 2012. I have been lucky in some respects I have had a lot and love and support from my ever loving and patient mum! I started looking towards a direction in looking for a ASD diagnosis in a journey which involved a battle with alcoholism which started late in 2018. I have done well and I don't drink anymore and I have learned a lot about myself. A few people had put some things to me in regard to myself perhaps being on some sort of spectrum various times over the years and the work I have done on myself last year made me realise that yes things were beginning to make sense after much research predictably. 

I have been in a job in the same workplace for many years I am extremely overwhelmed with long hours at the moment I hope I am well on the way to making a change I've had a few interviews lined up with one being today. I have became alot more self-aware and acknowledge and try to account for my limitations. I have a habit of speaking about myself and my issues but I struggle to still process my thoughts in an orderly fashion and miss things out which is why my introduction probably seems abit  non-linear and fragmented. 

My 'special interests' is football facts, weather and I am fond of driving up and down the country and visiting new places. My purpose of coming on here is to try and engage and pick up more and more knowledge and more coping strategies as well as hopefully trying to support others.

Thankyou for reading through all of this

Parents
  • Thanks for the reply Aidie I have changed my name based on your advice. I selected Red Dog because I'm a very big and proud Nottingham Forest supporter especially after winning tonight! I have explored mindfulness in my alcohol recovery funnily enough and actually attended a weekly class which did help. I know practising mediation is an art form and I should look at that more to help with anxiety. I really should start at looking at doing it even for10 minutes per day even when I go to bed to be honest. I have downloaded the apps for it previously. I will show the text, thankyou for your welcome and helpful suggestions

• Thanks for the reply Aidie I have changed my name based on your advice. I selected Red Dog because I'm a very big and proud Nottingham Forest supporter especially after winning tonight! I have explored mindfulness in my alcohol recovery funnily enough and actually attended a weekly class which did help. I know practising mediation is an art form and I should look at that more to help with anxiety. I really should start at looking at doing it even for10 minutes per day even when I go to bed to be honest. I have downloaded the apps for it previously. I will show the text, thankyou for your welcome and helpful suggestions

Children
  • no problem at all.  I do 10 minute meditations in work at my desk sitting on a chair - I do it in my breaks and lunch time.  Many people use the apps but use whatever works for you --- but point is to do it  --- even failing at meditation is good for you. The attempt registers deep in your mind  " I am changing ".