P.E problems

Hi everyone 

I’m mum to five children, one girl diagnosed with autism aged 10 (11 next month), one boy aged 7 currently awaiting assessment for ASD and ADHD after previously being told nothing wrong by paediatric doc but consultant saw autism and attention issues, one boy aged 4 currently under assessment for ASD and two girls aged 9 and 12 who are neurotypical.

Really struggling with our 10 year old daughter, school have been little to no help all her school life, she doesn’t do P.E. and becomes really distressed when it’s P.E day at school and when school try to force the issue. We are finally getting the autism service involved with school but she moves to secondary school in September and I am worried about what’s to come. Has anyone else been through similar issue.

Parents
  • A few of my friends who have Autistic kids have had the same issue. The way they solved it is to make it a habit and part of their schedules on the weekends, so every weekend they would drive to the nearby park or go to the beach (if it's the holidays) and go for long walks there. After a while there should be a change, but it will take some time for the change to happen. Just don't force the issue on your child and give positive thoughts on how well she did for the weekend exercise and the change will eventually happen.

• A few of my friends who have Autistic kids have had the same issue. The way they solved it is to make it a habit and part of their schedules on the weekends, so every weekend they would drive to the nearby park or go to the beach (if it's the holidays) and go for long walks there. After a while there should be a change, but it will take some time for the change to happen. Just don't force the issue on your child and give positive thoughts on how well she did for the weekend exercise and the change will eventually happen.

Children
  • She does cheer and Pom dance on a Friday and Saturday which she really enjoys but she struggles with dressing and undressing especially in communal areas, also she knows what happens at cheer and Pom as the class is very routine led and i see it as a therapy session for her because it’s something she enjoys and keeps her active