Newly Diagnosed Adult

Hello, I'm Katdog 

I'm 31, female and I've just been diagnosed with autism.

For me the diagnosis is a relief, because it explains a lot and now my whole life makes sense.

I've always felt different and I've never fit in anywhere. I always say it's like I'm a cat and everyone else is a dog. But no one knows I'm a cat, so I'm expected to act like a dog, and do dog things, but those things never felt right to me and it's not natural, because I'm a cat (Hence the nickname 'Katdog' ... my real name starts with a K).

So it's a relief to know that I'm not a weirdo or an alien or stupid or acting up or exaggerating... I'm autistic. I feel a lot more accepting of myself now.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Also, is this website always really slow at loading/switching pages or is that just my android devices? 

• lovely  Slight smile good attitude

• Hey!!!

I am a 32 year old female and was diagnosed in January. I felt relief initially, but since then have had a growing sense of anger and disappointment.

I have experience a number of mental health issues, in part due to my struggles as a result of having ASD. I guess I feel sad that I have limitations that stop me achieving things like holding down a full time job or having a family of my own... and angry and disappointed that others don't understand my challenges or utilise my unusual strengths and that I felt forced to not be true to my self in the past.

Anyway, that enough negativity - I am who I am and I have ASD... I am not ASD. Onwards and upwards. What keep you positive about yourself  with ASD? And how do you stop your diagnosis from limiting your aspirations, whilst still practicing self care?

Take care. 

: 0 )

• Yes I know what you mean. I hope going forward especially now you have an answer that life will be much better. You're still young at 33. And can still accomplish whatever you set your mind to Relaxed

• Hey, im 33, I was diagnosed just last month with autism, but i get what your saying. 

its a relief in a way. Yet, tragic I feel, have you felt tragedy also? 

Because If there had been a diagnosis as a kid or my mum had taken better care of me when younger maybe I could have been more accomplished or avoided trouble with the law etc. 

I could be an entirely different person you know, 

I feel like im 33 now, and going forward things look better but looking back, such waste and tragedy, suffering. What would be the best years of ones life growing up in 20s etc for some have been unstable for me. 

I dunno, you know . . . 

• Thank you. I guess the website isn't phone/tablet friendly. I'll bear with it lol.

• i agree with everything u just said.  i use latops on the internet and this site appears to be ok for me. Everyone else is neurotypical, you are special and unique. I love the catchphrase "need new ideas...ask an Aspie"

• Thank you I'll check that out Relaxed I'm glad your diagnosis was a relief too.

• Hello Katdog, welcome to the community. 

For me the diagnosis was also a relief and a new understanding. It gave me the key to reexamine my past and come with the answers. It made me to re-conceptualise a lot of my past and my concept of mental health conditions and disability. It was really a journey.  It is not unusual to experience a range of emotions over a period o time. There is a very good video about it here: https://ndsa.uk/content/just-diagnosed-now-what/