What if I'm not autistic?

Hey 

I went for assessment not long ago and I'm waiting for them to say results.

It was really scary and I don't know if I did the tests right or if I said enough info to the questions coz I was super nervous.

What if I'm not autistic? What do I do then? I'm so scared and hate waiting for results because I'm so anxious now.

If they say yes my whole life then makes sense and I can accept myself.

But if they say no then I'm just the weirdo who doesnt know how to be human like normal people Frowning2

Anyone else here thought they are autistic but then been told no?

Parents
  • Hey :) 

I think it's important to know that the official assessment is an indication on how far your behaviours affect your life and fit the signs of 'typical' autism. If you get told that it's 'not bad enough' (or along those lines), that doesn't necessarily mean that you're not autistic at all, nor does it mean that your experiences are invalidated. It simply means that whatever you have doesn't fit their criteria to provide support. If it comes back negative but you believe you have some form of autism, then you can consider yourself autistic if you like. Remember, as big a deal as a diagnosis is, it doesn't fundamentally change you - you are still the same awesome person that you were before you received the resultsx

Much love <3 

• Hey :) 

I think it's important to know that the official assessment is an indication on how far your behaviours affect your life and fit the signs of 'typical' autism. If you get told that it's 'not bad enough' (or along those lines), that doesn't necessarily mean that you're not autistic at all, nor does it mean that your experiences are invalidated. It simply means that whatever you have doesn't fit their criteria to provide support. If it comes back negative but you believe you have some form of autism, then you can consider yourself autistic if you like. Remember, as big a deal as a diagnosis is, it doesn't fundamentally change you - you are still the same awesome person that you were before you received the resultsx

Much love <3 

Children
No Data