2-3 year wait for assessment

Hi I have just joined forum. I don't really know what to do. I was referred by.my doctor to have an autism assessment, I am 38 and have always struggled with certain things and wanted to find out why and see if I could access any help as am not currently working and want to find something that will be appropriate. The problem is I had a phone assessment, something that I really didn't cope with well and have been told it will be 2-3 years for a face to face assessment. I'm not really sure what to do now. I also have diabetes which means in my last job I was finding it increasingly difficult to stay at the counter in the shop because I needed to go to the loo a lot. My partner and I are struggling financially because I am not contributing. I'm really at a loss as what to do, as the wait time has thrown me and I don't know whether I am entitled to anything benefits wise. I'm not even sure if I belong here without any diagnosis. 

Parents
  • If your looking for disability allowance can you tell them about your diabetes? I dont know how this works. Anyway theres probably lots of jobs suitable you just need to think what your good at, the work environment you want etc. For example, I decided to switch profession and go into my special interest. My special interest could have gone into working with lots of people or alone. I chose working alone or very few people 

• If your looking for disability allowance can you tell them about your diabetes? I dont know how this works. Anyway theres probably lots of jobs suitable you just need to think what your good at, the work environment you want etc. For example, I decided to switch profession and go into my special interest. My special interest could have gone into working with lots of people or alone. I chose working alone or very few people 

Children
  • Hey thanks for replies. Citizens Advice have suggested I apply for universal credit with my partner, I don't think we'll be entitled but I've done so anyway, although the idea of going to the job centre fills me with dread I have an appointment on Monday. In terms of work I only have experience in shops and a library. I loved the library but it was a while ago and I went for a library job recently and found out the nature of the job has changed a lot, it's all community groups and dealing with people, and multi tasking everything I'm not great at and unsurprisingly I didn't get it. As I said I had to give up the shop job I had because of physical problems with the diabetes. I do feel I can work but just not in any areas I have experience in so I don't see how I will be able to get a different job. It seems all jobs are multi tasking nowadays. I just want something where I can do something singular and repetitive in front of me, not too many people to talk to or customers to deal with, nothing too physical where I can't leave to go to the loo, that isn't after any specific qualifications or experience? Anyone have any ideas?