New here but anxious and nervous over possible diagnosis

Hi all

I am a 36 yr old married father of 2. over the last few years my wife was part of the parent governors at the local primary school.She worked with SEN and autistic children. My wife has known me since we were both really young 13/14 ish in age. The more she learned about SEN and autism the more she pointed out the way she believed I may be on the autistic Spectrum. 

Now i know myself this was a possibility I love spreadsheets and numbers I collect a lot. I get focused easily on silly pointless tasks it seems.

I Decided to take the AQ test (on wired.com with 50 questions) my score came out over 40 which if my reading is correct is a likely autistic score. 

I get bored easily and start slacking in jobs shortly after employment I am driven and work hard at the start but that changes after a period of time. 

I would love to get some advice on what to do. I am scared, anxious and nervous about the possible diagnosis. I don't know if this will change anything in my current life if things will continue as they are or not. 

I did the test a few days ago and haven't slept properly since I haven't discussed it with my wife either. 

Do I make an appointment with my GP or not. Does it change anything.

Any help appreciated. 

Parents
  • It can serious effect on you being recruited by your next employer if u r diagnosed as being on the spectrum. But work aside it can be a very good thing to do in that you now know what the issue is and you can work from there. Your mind settles. 

you need to discuss it with your wife because she is so experienced and her evidence will be key in your case. 

• It can serious effect on you being recruited by your next employer if u r diagnosed as being on the spectrum. But work aside it can be a very good thing to do in that you now know what the issue is and you can work from there. Your mind settles. 

you need to discuss it with your wife because she is so experienced and her evidence will be key in your case. 

Children
No Data