Not giving out personal information!

Okay I've seen a few times now personal photos as profile pictures, and read alot of times people giving what I would say is personal information?

So what are the rules plus when I check the profile bio they don't have any info, and no name just the nas2325 whatever just confused by the paradox and concerned

I have already written my concerns on here before, I feel like people are trying to exploit what we write on here and also trick us into giving information to them.

Who are the people who regulate the forums? 

Parents
  • There will always be people using the internet for less than honest purposes.    Should all users have a competency / fraud awareness course before they are allowed to use it?      You can be a victim of fraud or theft anywhere you go - should people be banned from leaving their house?     

Unfortunately, criminals will always exist so all you can do is limit or filter the information you post - and be aware of the cyber-trail you leave behind with every post.   

'Big Data' is collecting everything that ever gets posted anywhere and is piecing it together to sell that data  - it's building a profile of everyone so if you think the internet doesn't know who you are, you're wrong.

Your IP address is logged on every site.     Google maps logged the geographical position of every home wifi network.   Your phone is bugging you and logging every journey you take by gps and cell location.    

All you can do is be aware of all this and be sensible.   Consider how much detail of your life you give out and how it could be used against you.

• There will always be people using the internet for less than honest purposes.    Should all users have a competency / fraud awareness course before they are allowed to use it?      You can be a victim of fraud or theft anywhere you go - should people be banned from leaving their house?     

Unfortunately, criminals will always exist so all you can do is limit or filter the information you post - and be aware of the cyber-trail you leave behind with every post.   

'Big Data' is collecting everything that ever gets posted anywhere and is piecing it together to sell that data  - it's building a profile of everyone so if you think the internet doesn't know who you are, you're wrong.

Your IP address is logged on every site.     Google maps logged the geographical position of every home wifi network.   Your phone is bugging you and logging every journey you take by gps and cell location.    

All you can do is be aware of all this and be sensible.   Consider how much detail of your life you give out and how it could be used against you.

Children
  • you've made some very good points.

This morning I typed my real name into google to see what would come up.  Will there be any links to my various pseudonyms around the net?

I found one  worrying link!

On Flicker i have posted a photograph of a Squirrel under my true name.  I belong to a squirrel shooting photography group.  I think i also posted similar photos on this site a couple of years ago.