An Introduction

Hi I am a recently diagnosed person with autism. I say recently diagnosed but it's a long story. Basically my parents recieved a diagnosis of autism when I was seven, but because I had dyspraxia as well, they didnt want me labeled with another condition. 

So I wasn't told, until last year when both myself and my line manager at work (who is trained in such matters) realised I was showing autistic traits.

I went to my doctor and asked for testing to see if I did have autism. To my complete surprise and shock, he told me that I'd been diagnosed at seven. 

I questioned my parents about this, and they explained what I said further up in the post. This has caused some difficulties between us, and we've never really had the same relationship since. 

Anyway on a lighter note, my hobbies and interests include creative writing, sketching, reading all sorts of different books, as well as studying history. 

Thanks for reading and apologies if I've introduced myself before, but I can't quite remember if I have. 

Parents
  • Hello and welcome. It's great to have you here. :)

Gosh, you poor thing. I can't begin to imagine what you've been feeling since learning the truth. I can certainly understand it would cause a number of difficulties in your relationship with your parents. I am so sorry to hear it.

How are you getting on at work? Has your line manager been able to give you the support you need?

What's your favourite period of history? I studied History of Science for a bit and particularly enjoyed the stuff around the military-industrial-academic complex during WW2, as well as the developments in reproductive history and women's reproductive rights throughout the twentieth century. I also have a soft spot for historical fiction, namely Anne O'Brien and Philippa Gregory, who like to explore the women of the Tudor royal families. In case you can't tell, I'm quite Western-centric.

• Thank you for the warm welcome, Nessie. I must admit to having struggled with it and it has affected both my relationships with family and friends. 

My line manager and colleagues in general have been amazingly supportive which I am most grateful for and has been a great help.

History study wise I am something of a mixed bag, have studied history from all over the world and different eras.

My favourite history to study though is both British History, mainly the Victorian era and First World War. I also enjoy studying the American Presidents, and the politics of the USA. 

Like yourself I enjoy reading historical fiction, but my tastes lean more towards Bernard Cornwell and Patrick O' Brien.

Once again thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to chatting with you all. 

• You're very welcome. 

I'm glad you've found support somewhere. I hope, in time, you find a new equilibrium in your relationships with family and friends.

That is quite an eclectic mix of history! In the interests of lightheartedness, I'll refrain from soliciting your views on the current American President until he is consigned to the history books too. :-)

Look forward to seeing you about on the forum. 

• I hope so too, Nessie. 

I think my eclectic sense of history comes from my degree, where I studied everything from Indian History to the history of trade unionism in the UK. 

My views on the current President is definitely best unsaid as I don't wish to use bad language!

Looking forward to seeing you too

• I hope so too, Nessie. 

I think my eclectic sense of history comes from my degree, where I studied everything from Indian History to the history of trade unionism in the UK. 

My views on the current President is definitely best unsaid as I don't wish to use bad language!

Looking forward to seeing you too

Children
No Data