Waiting for diagnosis

Hello.

My name is Alberto, I've just turned 40, and by suggestion of my psychologist and after reading some books about AS and Asperger's I'm starting the journey to get a diagnosis. 

I moved to the UK a couple of years ago for work reasons. I'm currently living in Cambridgeshire.

Being somewhat new to the UK and very probably being on the spectrum, making friendships is very hard for me. I sadly can say that I have no friends at the moment here and my family lives in a different country. So, yeah, it can get lonely sometimes.

These past couple of years have had their difficulties, but I'm happy-ish at were my life is heading.

Well, that's it for now... 

Hope to get to know some people around here.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome Slight smile I'm in my mid-twenties, awaiting diagnosis. It's seems like a very long wait, but hopefully it'll be worthwhile.

What are your interests? Maybe there's a group/club you could join to meet similar people.

• My interests?? Well, I tendo to gravitate towards geeky stuff... Love movies (especially sci-fi/fantasy), anime, Lego's, reading fiction, playing the piano, listening to music, playing tennis... 

I've joined a couple of groups, now I just have to get the courage to actually speak to someone... hehe

• Geeky stuff is great. I play piano too Slight smile

I find it really difficult approaching people in groups, especially when they all know each other already. I tend to try and look for someone who also looks new/isolated (a safer starting point, as they'll probably welcome the company from a fellow newbie!), or seek out the smallest group possible (e.g. two/three people standing together) and ask them a question to get the conversation started. It could be any question - like asking them how long they've been coming to the group, or when the next event is. Just something to help you get started Slight smile

• I love Moonlight Sonata - it's a good one for drifting off to sleep to as well! Oh, great - good luck with your Grade 4 Slight smile I find classical music very relaxing. Boogie woogie sounds fun Slight smile

• Thanks! Yes, I think that's one of the activities that will be with me as long as I'm able to play

Reply Children
No Data