Hi

Former Member
Former Member

Hello I'm new and trying to get used to the format here. I'm a 13 year old that has recently been diagnosed with moderate autism, although i don't really at this moment have a complete understanding of what that means. The reason i have joined is because i was hoping to have some of my questions answered after this hell of a year. It's not that I expect people to have all the answers it is just that all the adults in my life at school and at home are asking me questions that i don't have the answers to. However some i can answer I just don't have the courage to go against their point of views, especially my Mum. I really want to tell her how i feel and what i think but I'm to scared to and I'm scared that if I try and tell her the truth about the fact that I can't come to her that I'll break her heart. I guess what I mean is that I'm in a real predicament and I'm just looking for some advice from those older than me that have gone and finished with school what is really the best route. If you have read this, thanks I guess and hello, again.

Parents
  • Hello there, I am also new here and maybe I can add my  perspective, which may be a little different.....I am an artist and have worked as the Lead Artist for Access and Community at The Courtauld Gallery for 18 years. During this time I have forged many good relationships with S.E.N schools and worked frequently with Autism at various levels on the wide spectrum. My experience has been joyful and rarely  challenging. The responses to creativity are amazing......the honesty and purity that those with A.S.D display is refreshing and at a level that would defy all people's expectations...…….you may feel that you do not have all the answers but you  can just reply honestly...…...it is not wrong to not want to turn to your mother if that is how you feel....don't be scared. I know that I am not in your predicament but you have expressed your major worries so well,......follow your heart and your instinct...…..only you can know when you feel ready to talk to your Mum. Established views of autism are not necessarily always correct...….I admire and respect you...….you are brave and articulate and things will fall into place as time moves on...……..trust yourself and your feelings. You will flourish and grow as a magnificent individual, I don't know if this has helped you at all but I have chosen to join this forum as I feel that my experience can be positive and encouraging......I wish you all the luck in the world and send you lots of love.   

Reply Children
No Data