Hello. Am I in for a world of pain?

Hello all. 

I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I'm an early 30s parent. Me and my wife had our son two years ago. Our first child. Everything was perfect in our lives until we started noticing repetitive behaviour in our child. We noticed this a few weeks ago - hand flapping, constant spinning of car wheels, tip toeing, not responding to his name. He was actually doing this for ages but we had assumed his hand flap was a goodbye wage, for example. 

We have just started to look into diagnosis, such as seeing a paediatric, seeing a dietician. I've been disappointed at the waiting list. Is it just me or is everyone else also feeling the frustration? 

As a first time parent it comes as a shock, almost disbelief and the hard part is in readjusting my expectations for my son. I had all sorts of ideas of what father and son would do. It's so devastating. I started a blog because I had no way of releasing the pain than to write it. www.bestparenticanbe.com

Have you guys found a way to get your son or daughter diagnosed faster? We have been told a 2 year waiting list. My son is 2. Surely there must be something that can be done? Is it worth going private?

Any advice and experiences would be very very much appreciated.

I just want to feel strong about my child's future. It's devastating to think he may not get the same opportunities I did as a child.

Alex.

Parents
  • Hi,

As tinyexplorer has said it is usual to go through a wealth of emotions. But your son is the same child he hasn't changed, your perceptions have, 

There is alot of negative information out there that paint autism as a tragedy and alot of parents see the worst. As has been suggested try talking to autistic adults look for services in your area run by autistic people, this can give you the best insight and understanding possible.

Please try to see some positives just because your son is autistic doesn't mean he wont achieve or have the same experiences he may feel them differently but there is no reason to assume he wont do well with love, acceptance and support. 

My partner is undiagnosed asd works full time earns good money driving hgvs, I am possibly on the spectrum I work in a school and am studying to be a teaching assistant, my daughter is 8 awaiting assessment but is in the top 3% of her year group she does struggle socially and get anxious but with support and acceptance is doing really well. Growing up with a positive attitude towards autism is so Important.

• Yeah I agree. I could be autistic myself. I seem so confident to others but internally I've always been self-critical and lacked self belief. I wonder whether there was a reason behind it after all.

Reply Children
No Data