Hi - Mum of autistic young man

Hi all just thought I would say hi and introduce myself. My name is Nicki and I’m a mum to 3 boys. My eldest son is 22 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of 14. It’s been a very hard journey but now I am facing new challenges as he enters adult life.

Would be nice to hear from other parents of young autistic adults and there struggles and welcome any advice.

Nicki 

Parents
  • Welcome. My daughter is 21. It has been a hard journey and it never ends, there are new challenges at each turn :)

• hi I'm Jan I'm just so emotionally upset because I see my son changing I worry and think is it just autism or something else I've asked this to the professionals and they say it's just autism it's the constant talking to himself he's a bit of a jerkil and hide. We feel we're walking on egg shells and if say the wrong thing or ask the same question twice he goes on at us for hours days weeks for very trivial things it's so mentally draining.

• Something is disturbing your child whether they are male or female. It could be they Understand that their Employment or Studies will end and they have an uncertain future. You have a family crisis that may affect them. They are perhaps being bullied somehow. They like/dislike someone. Their sexual hormones are changing and they become very frustrated in their own world of existence. Too much pressure is put on them, or you, completing Massive forms for benefit entitlement when ticking the wrong box gives a completely different result they need that requires an appeal. I have spent something like months filling in 30+ page documents DWP benefit agency ESA and PIP in 3 variously corrected copies reading and rereading the meaning of what is really meant by the questions, some are obvious of course, some are deceptive. With Pip I even sent in corrections after I had submitted the final form, before a decision had been made. All copied, and with a free certificate of posting on request from the Post office. Always keep all paper copies of what is sent and the Drafts. They can be a full box file of Paper. Always back date any claim you make to a an earlier date if you can prove it. We are all human and we are all fallible. While there is also the Public service Ombudsman with what seems to be limited to within 6 months, Where as an Unpaid Carer of Last Resort do you get the luxury of time to deal with fighting in my case where Public can be shown to have lied to avoid paying out and you are years behind what should have been dealt with earlier. They know it.

• Something is disturbing your child whether they are male or female. It could be they Understand that their Employment or Studies will end and they have an uncertain future. You have a family crisis that may affect them. They are perhaps being bullied somehow. They like/dislike someone. Their sexual hormones are changing and they become very frustrated in their own world of existence. Too much pressure is put on them, or you, completing Massive forms for benefit entitlement when ticking the wrong box gives a completely different result they need that requires an appeal. I have spent something like months filling in 30+ page documents DWP benefit agency ESA and PIP in 3 variously corrected copies reading and rereading the meaning of what is really meant by the questions, some are obvious of course, some are deceptive. With Pip I even sent in corrections after I had submitted the final form, before a decision had been made. All copied, and with a free certificate of posting on request from the Post office. Always keep all paper copies of what is sent and the Drafts. They can be a full box file of Paper. Always back date any claim you make to a an earlier date if you can prove it. We are all human and we are all fallible. While there is also the Public service Ombudsman with what seems to be limited to within 6 months, Where as an Unpaid Carer of Last Resort do you get the luxury of time to deal with fighting in my case where Public can be shown to have lied to avoid paying out and you are years behind what should have been dealt with earlier. They know it.

Children
No Data