Hey everyone...new here, could do with some help.

Hi guys, 

I have no idea where to start with this and I could do with some help. I'm here because I've struggled all my life with what *I think* must be Asperger's. I don't have an official diagnosis, nothing concrete to go on. Over the past few months, I've worked through several online tests which suggest I may have Asperger's and I think I express many of the typical behavioural and social indicators. I think the penny dropped when I watched a documentary presented by Chris Packham a couple of years ago, in which he was discussing Asperger's. I sat there thinking, wow, I can relate to everything he is saying! Whatever is going on, I am incapable of making friends. I've had a small number of friends throughout my life but they have been and gone. I'm 34, I have a successful career, but no friends whatsoever. I get on well with colleagues although small talk makes me feel very uncomfortable. I'm socially awkward, but I think I generally mask this quite well.  I prefer to be on my own when the prospect of a social situation arises, but I can also feel very lonely. I guess my question is...what can I do to help myself? How do people deal with this? 

Thanks for reading. It would be great to hear back from someone. 

Parents
  • You sound exactly like me! 31, just diagnosed with aspergers and excellent at masking on the surface but my life is very different from others my age.  I get on well with colleagues but can not maintain a deeper friendship.  

Hope reading on here helps you feel less alone :)

• You sound exactly like me! 31, just diagnosed with aspergers and excellent at masking on the surface but my life is very different from others my age.  I get on well with colleagues but can not maintain a deeper friendship.  

Hope reading on here helps you feel less alone :)

Children
No Data